Calibre Beastnut vs Boardman FS Pro (6ft 2in rider)

utherdoul
utherdoul Posts: 24
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
Covered before in a few different ways, but keen to get peoples thoughts on the Beastnut vs the FS Pro. I have a 2012 Boardman HT Pro 26", and just after an upgrade.

I was tempted by the Boardman FS Team on C2W (I can only get halfords offers) but think it will be a saving that I will regret later. I can't see any real need to go over the £1,500 price as I won't be doing loads of riding on it. I was thinking about the 19" versions, but reviews suggest that this will be too small in both versions.

Calibre Beastnut 21" (XL) - £1,300
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bea ... ke-p413298

Boardman FS Pro 20" (XL) - £1600 + 10% BC Discount, 3% Cashback) - £1392
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... nsion-27-5

I'm siding towards to Boardman at the moment, but any other suggestions appreciated. I will add a dropper seat post either bike, and probably change tires on both as well. Oh, and probably planning on some lessons on it too!

Riding will be all trails, Cannock Chase (local) as well as trips to Afan / Coed-y-Brenin etc.

Cheers

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    The Beastnut comes with a dropper, however I would go with the Boardman.

Firstly having owned a Calibre (not a Bossnut or Beatnut admittedly) the finish on my Boardman is far superior. Secondly, I HATE the routing of the cables on the Beastnut, no internal routing for the dropper for example, and routing everything under the top tube, or on top of the town tube, yuck, the Boardman is much more considered. Thirdly, it's the same frame as the cheaper Bossnut V2 I believe, they've even left on the mount for the front mech! And lastly, the brakes, groupset, fork and shock are better on the Boardman.

Sold yet?! ;)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • TheGava
    TheGava Posts: 220
    Hey after owning both bikes (2016 19in Boardman FS Pro) and now the 21.5in Beastnut!! I prefer the Beastnut.... I'm also 6'2, and I'll be honest the 19in Boardman did seem to feel a little too small for me at times. I'm only 2 rides in with the Beast, but she feel's planted

My reasons for the Beastnut as I was also tempted for the 20in Pro....

Pro.... Cheaper/dropper post/tires rims tubless ready which I've done!! Lock out on the Revs!!

Con.... 1.5lb heavier (that's it)

Brakes/Gears to me feel the same as do the Revs compared to the pikes.... I'm no pro cyclist, I just enjoy riding!!

Extra discounts are also available at GO if you work for certain company's/emergency services/Army etc....
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I know loads of people who have made the stock rims and tyres tubeless on the Pro FS. The shock has a lockout which the Beastnut doesn't. The forks don't lock completely, but you can ramp the compression right up, they're pretty hard then. IMO the lockout on the shock is more important to combat any peddle bob.

Fit is the most important thing though. You should easily be able to try both, and 20" Boardman may be the way to go.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two