Disposing of cycling gear - Free to a good home.

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited August 2017 in Commuting chat
Next week I'm back up to Scotland to start sorting out my stuff to move south and will be combining cycling gear from 3 locations to one which will, inevitably, lead to excess.

What to do with clothing, in particular? I could drop it off at a charity shop but there's some good stuff which probably won't find a good home.

A few jerseys, a couple of jacket/jerseys (Phantom II, Gabba SS and possibly LS), Rapha gilet, some Rapha caps (I like the idea of them but they don't fit - Rapha have given me quite a few), maybe some other stuff that I've forgotten about. Most are XL.

I also have a load of part-used or almost unused tyres. Mostly road 700c but also some 26" MTB.

I don't want any money for them but I also really don't want any hassle either - too much going on. Would prefer they go as a job-lot (by all means agree between yourselves to divvy up after the fact).

So they will be free to a good home either collected in Inverness, Cambridge or Chippenham/Malmesbury.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Next week I'm back up to Scotland to start sorting out my stuff to move south and will be combining cycling gear from 3 locations to one which will, inevitably, lead to excess.

What to do with clothing, in particular? I could drop it off at a charity shop but there's some good stuff which probably won't find a good home.

A few jerseys, a couple of jacket/jerseys (Phantom II, Gabba SS and possibly LS), Rapha gilet, some Rapha caps (I like the idea of them but they don't fit - Rapha have given me quite a few), maybe some other stuff that I've forgotten about. Most are XL.

I also have a load of part-used or almost unused tyres. Mostly road 700c but also some 26" MTB.

I don't want any money for them but I also really don't want any hassle either - too much going on. Would prefer they go as a job-lot (by all means agree between yourselves to divvy up after the fact).

So they will be free to a good home either collected in Inverness, Cambridge or Chippenham/Malmesbury.

I've started taking stuff to the local bike recycling place, although not many deal with clothing. The local one to me takes clothes, washes them, flogs them on ebay, and then uses the money to recycle more bikes.
    Might be one near you doing the same?
    http://www.re-cycle.org/uk-bike-reuse-p ... bury&=Find
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hmm, you've got PM...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Ps, none of that will ever fit me... but thanks so much for offering!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • meanredspider

I've started taking stuff to the local bike recycling place, although not many deal with clothing. The local one to me takes clothes, washes them, flogs them on ebay, and then uses the money to recycle more bikes.
    Might be one near you doing the same?
    http://www.re-cycle.org/uk-bike-reuse-p ... bury&=Find

It's a great idea and I'd love to do it but what with selling a house in Scotland and buying a house (that needs a fair bit doing to it) in England and moving between the two, I'm also managing my daughter's leukaemia. By most measures, I have a fair bit on my plate. I should also be doing my job (my employers have been utterly brilliant). Again, happy that someone bridges the gap.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have the same problem with stuff thats too big for me as I lost weight or too small for the kids cause they grew. Was going to give it all to a local Bicycle Kitchen but they have been made homeless so have nowhere to store stuff and arent interested right now. If anyone wants a load of mainly XXL cycling stuff or age 10-12 kids cycling stuff and can pick up in Berkshire let me know too...! (sorry to hijack the thread) Would just like to see it go to a good home where it will be used for what it was intended to do.
  • meanredspider
    Just to clarify, I really need this to be as hassle-free as possible, please. I don't know yet exactly what I'll get rid of but there will definitely be at least:

Gore Phantom II in grey
    Castelli Gabba
    Assos Autumn/Winter jacket/jersey in white (gone a little off-white in the wash)
    A BR jersey
    Rapha caps (4 or 5 at a guess)
    Maybe some Assos 851 extreme winter tights (with pad - but feel free to remove pad and use as over-tights)

I've got to sort through it all and there will be things I've forgotten about. I've got far too much stuff and it's just being wasted.
  • meanredspider
    Looks like I have a taker. Thanks everyone.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    apreading wrote:
    I have the same problem with stuff thats too big for me as I lost weight or too small for the kids cause they grew. Was going to give it all to a local Bicycle Kitchen but they have been made homeless so have nowhere to store stuff and arent interested right now. If anyone wants a load of mainly XXL cycling stuff or age 10-12 kids cycling stuff and can pick up in Berkshire let me know too...! (sorry to hijack the thread) Would just like to see it go to a good home where it will be used for what it was intended to do.

Interested in the 10-12 cycling stuff. Will PM you.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    apreading wrote:
    I'd have the XXL stuff if you want to chuck it in a big box and post it (obviously will cover costs!)

After four years of daily commuting it seems I'm destined to remain a brick outbuilding, and my gear is starting to wear out....

I have some in laws in Marlow you could potentially drop off at if you're that end.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    gabriel959 wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Interested in the 10-12 cycling stuff. Will PM you.

Could also be interested in some of the kids stuff if gabriel is no longer. Am in Newbury.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    Lemme check what I have still got - I boxed it up a couple of years ago and havent looked since. I took some pics and put them here (http://www.calcot.plus.com/Clothing%202014/) but sold some of the adult stuff at the time, cant remember which.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Also interested in the childrens clothing.............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • apreading
    Yeah - sorry chaps and chapesses - never got around to getting the box out and checking it last weekend. Will deffo do this weekend. I would say to anyone local to just come around and poke around see if you want anything but dont want anyone to have a wasted trip! I dont think I flogged any of the kids stuff when I sold some of the adult bits a couple of years ago, so the bits pictured should still be there. I live just off M4 J12 so if anyone is keen to come and look this weekend they would be welcome.

The kids stuff is everything up to 323 in the pics and anything 389 onwards I think. So mainly Sportful, Altura & Decathlon kit - some of it really nice. I think there are loads of pairs of fingerless mitts.
  • natrix
    That would be great, I've sent you a PM and would be happy to 'rummage' tomorrow :D
  • natrix
    APReading, I've sent you a PM :)