Fork stuck in headtube

ab.simas
ab.simas Posts: 13
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. I'm trying to take off my Manitou M30 fork off of Cube Acid 2016 for servicing but it seems to be stuck.
I've taken off the top cap and spacers is there something else I need to do?

2ef7tra.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Push it up from the bottom to loosen the compression ring, (the grey bit with the split), then whack it out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ab.simas
    cooldad wrote:
    Push it up from the bottom to loosen the compression ring, (the grey bit with the split), then whack it out.
    Doesn't seem to budge when pulling from below or above. Do I need to apply more force when doing so?
    Also, is it normal for a relatively new fork to be stuck like this?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes and it's not stuck.

Push it down hard, if it still won't move lever the compression ring upwards with a screwdriver or something. Tying not to destroy it.

It only needs to move a tiny bit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ab.simas
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes and it's not stuck.

Push it down hard, if it still won't move lever the compression ring upwards with a screwdriver or something. Tying not to destroy it.

Yes, finally got it out. Thanks for your help! :)
  • ab.simas
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes and it's not stuck.

Now I'm stuck at reattaching the fork (surprise).. :?

Do you have any tips for that?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Put it in the frame, drop that silver compression wedge in, top cap and then spacers and stem, preload bearing using the top cap, do up the stem bolts.

What exactly is your problem?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ^^^ what he said. If you removed caged bearing races, make sure fitted right way round.

We are assuming the steerer is the same, i.e. you are not trying to fit 1.5 in tapered fork to no tapered frame.