5700 rear mech for 5800

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited July 2017 in Workshop
Hi I have noticed that there is a it of play in the jockey wheels in my rear mech so my questions is this, do I need to change it and if so can i change my shimano 105 5700 10 speed rear mech, can I upgrade to 11 speed 5800 without changing anything else (i.e. need 11 sp chain?)

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    No you can't... the cable pull to lateral movement conversion has changed when moving from 10 to 11 speed
    left the forum March 2023
  • shiznit76
    No you can't... the cable pull to lateral movement conversion has changed when moving from 10 to 11 speed
    cheers
    Does the lateral play in my jockey wheels mean I need to change my current mach?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    The top (guide) wheel should have a bit of play even when new.
  • shiznit76
    it is the bottom wheel that has most play, it's a bit all over place
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Surely new jockey wheels are cheaper than a new mech?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    As above, get some jockey wheels. However, the teeth generally wear out before the wheel itself... also, it's got bushings, so unlikely to develop much play and a bit of play is normal... I suspect you are barking at the wrong tree there
    left the forum March 2023
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Agree no indication to change - at most dismantle, clean, regrease, reassemble.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    pirnie wrote:
    Surely new jockey wheels are cheaper than a new mech?

And a 5 minute job to change
  • shiznit76
    so reckon whould just buy a pair of new jockey wheels and this should do the job? Looking at them the bottom one does seem to have pointy teeth, take it this is a sign of being gubbed?
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    It's not 4 weeks since I replaced my 5700 rear mech jockey wheels - like getting a new derailleur, all for the princely sum of £6.99

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/t4060-jocke ... 30452.html
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have been down this path . If you had not checked the play in the jockey wheels would you have a problem? I did not have a problem but discovered play in the jockey wheels . My thoughts were that this can not be right. Despite deciding that my two other bikes must also have worn jockeys I bought some more and ,yes you have guessed it, they have play when they are new.
    It seems obvious to me that the thing that guides the chain to the desired sprocket should have zero play but it does.
    If you don't have a problem just ride the bike.
  • shiznit76
    cheers for info, will change them as they seem worn and teeth are pointy