DT Swiss M520 rims - worth rebuilding with new hubs?

jonathanuk
jonathanuk Posts: 67
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a pair of old M520 rim wheels with oem hubs (Concept, by Focus) which were originally on my Focus Raven 29er, this bike has since had new wheels and a new frame which prompted a switched to bolt-through on the rear (using the original forks which are skewer).

I'd like to be able to do something with these rims at least, I also have a full suspension Plus bike which I gather wouldn't be so great in muddy conditions with the floaty 3" tyres, maybe using 2.2 or similar tyres in the winter would be better, or as a faster rolling option for summer riding too.

I'd need to rebuild the wheels with new hubs to convert front and back to bolt-through, I was thinking a nice set of Hope hubs, I'd no doubt need to replace the spokes at the same time (would I?), purchase a truing stand and a few tools. At the moment this pair would be the only wheels I plan to rebuild or true, but might do others in the future, and it would be more good home mechanic experience for me.

My alternative is to get what money I can for these wheels and buy new, but I doubt I would get rims as good as the M520s if I did that.

Any advice please? Is it worth rebuilding these rims myself if only for the experience, and would they be suitable for use on a full-suspension bike? The bike currently has 27.5" Plus size wheels/tyres, which I gather equates to a normal 29er wheel in overall diameter, so the geometry of the bike should not be affected.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not a great rim, and pretty 'big boned', I wouldn't bother, get some decent rims.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jonathanuk
    jonathanuk Posts: 67
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not a great rim, and pretty 'big boned', I wouldn't bother, get some decent rims.

Pretty much what a guy at my local bike shop told me today, oh well. Thanks for the confirmation. :)