Broken steel forks ... third commuter I've broken

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited July 2017 in Workshop
I have been riding my Carlton mixte frame commuter around central London for the past few weeks and noticing the front mudguard rubbed a bit.

Coming back through Westminster Square yesterday I was hearing slightly different creaking noise. I stopped and discovered this:

35872602456_dd5b8026e2_z.jpg

Disappointing in such a new bike, but somehow I doubt Carlton is around to honour the guarantee. Although even with one functioning fork, it got me home.

This is the third steel commuter frame or fork I have broken over the past 20 years (I weigh 72 kilos, so weight is not an issue).

Any idea who could weld this up in SW London?

Here is the whole bike

35872602206_86d3427a56_z.jpg

Here is my other Claud Butler mixte frame with a break some years ago. I threw it out:
4725742768_11c7b9090b_z.jpg

It served me well for many years:

4725091141_bd7ae4cf62_b.jpg

The Claud Butler had been abandoned in the office car park so I got it free; the Carlton was an eBay purchase and I pushed the boat out, paying £27.

The first steel commuter to break under me was a Trek hybrid, but I had kept the receipt so was given an alloy replacement by a grudging Evans.

On the decent bikes, here is a pair of Bontrager carbon forks I threw out after seeing these two cracks:

25810335972_9a464261f7_b.jpg

Comments

• bice
    I have taken off the forks and found the crown race is deeply pitted at the front.

I must have hit a pothole or something. Whether that impact or the damage to the headset accounts for the broken fork.

It was all well greased, and the pitting is deep and in one place only - the front. The upper bearing seems fine.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    A replacement fork will probably be cheaper than a repair. If one blade goes, then you have to suspect the other one as well. Just bin it. Continuing to ride a fork with that kind of damage - through central London - puts you in line for a Darwin award..
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Are you strapped for cash or summat?
    Why are you riding around on skip rejects?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    JGSI wrote:

Maybe because he is not one of those cash rich/brain poor folks who commute to work with 3 grand worth of bike? :wink:

To the OP, the steel frames probably had their day... nothing lasts forever. The Bontrager is a bit more annoying. Many frames have a lifetime awarranty, if not, then suck it up... I think it's just bad luck
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    JGSI wrote:

Some people are, in fact, strapped for cash. Does this come as a surprise?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some people are, in fact, dicks. Does this come as a surprise?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    cooldad wrote:

I joined here in 2009. So no.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bice
    edited July 2017
    I think riding around on a mixte frame, 531 frame is still a rational thing to do.

I like the semi step-through, which is good when shopping. I think it is also quite a nice design.

Having a really cheap commuter is sensible. No one is going to nick this, and I leave it everywhere.

I don't really like decent bikes in London. People go too fast on them, turning, say, the Embankment cycle highway into something daft.

The mixte frame here is still good for more years, but the recommendation that I get new forks rather than weld, is probably sensible.

I have a steel Marin MTB turned into a gash tourer that will be fine in the meantime.

(I don't think the risk was that great riding with one sound fork: the other was taking impact and it all felt quite strong. It was not likely to suffer catastrophic failure: more likely bend. I was careful however.)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Ben6899 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I joined here in 2009. So no.
    I've not been on here that long, but I too came to realise this quite quickly.
    Planet X had some cheap threaded steerer steel forks, unfortunately I had to return the ones I bought as the steerer wasn't long enough for the gate sized frame my son rides. Should be fine for most normal sized people though. I eventually found some on Ebay, brand new that fitted the bill.
    Nothing wrong with riding an old bike, especially if you don't have secure parking. Probably worth replacing the forks, just check the rest of the frame over to be sure it is sound.
    Edit: just seen your last post, completely agree.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    bice wrote:
    I think riding around on a mixte frame, 531 frame is still a rational thing to do.

I like the semi step-through, which is good when shopping. I think it is also quite a nice design.

Having a really cheap commuter is sensible. No one is going to nick this, and I leave it everywhere.

I don't really like decent bikes in London. People go too fast on them, turning, say, the Embankment cycle highway into something daft.

The mixte frame here is still good for more years, but the recommendation that I get new forks rather than weld, is probably sensible.

I have a steel Marin MTB turned into a gash tourer that will be fine in the meantime.

I totally agree... this forum is packed with snobs who think you need to spend thousands on bikes to ride 30 miles... yet I have seen folks on bikes not much different from yours and often without the benefit of gears, completing a 400 km Audax ride.

Keep it real... annoyingly, steel forks seem to be more expensive than they should these days
    left the forum March 2023
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Bike jumble, or buy a cracked frame on eBay and repurpose the forks. At least 1" threaded forks are a standard, even if you may need to have the threads recut or extended.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    My lbs has a pile of forks like that so worth checking there too - won't cost a lot.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    bice wrote:
    (I don't think the risk was that great riding with one sound fork: the other was taking impact and it all felt quite strong. It was not likely to suffer catastrophic failure: more likely bend. I was careful however.)

Lots of assumption there - and the notion of riding around on a bicycle with a fork which is at least 50% compromised is not something I'd do - but hey, it's your life, not mine.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd definitely not be riding with one fork leg broken. You're in London. It's not like you haven't got Boris bikes or tubes or buses. If the fork goes - you're going down face first.