Do wheel or rims exist that meet these specs?

furrag
furrag Posts: 481
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking for all-round wheels for training and racing, but good in the wet and crosswinds too. Something like the Reynolds Assaults or Zip 303's with alu brake tracks would be perfect, but I can't find any that meet the specs of:

<1650g
Aluminium brake track
38-42mm rim depth
21mm+ width

I've looked at these with the faults:
Shimano C35; 35mm (Probably the closest to what I want though)
FFWD F4R, Hed Jet4 & Mavic Cosmic Pro's - 45mm
Fulcrum LG Quattro; 35mm, 1725g
Pro-Lite Braccianos; 1800g+

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    An alloy rim that deep weighs 600g. Why that deep? 30mm deep wide rims are about the most aero you can have with aluminium. These can weigh as wheels under That target weight.

Some of those wheels you mention are not that aero. The cheap and shallower kinlin xr31t is at least as aero if not better. So why i ask?
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Furrag wrote:
    38-42mm rim depth....
    FFWD F4R, Hed Jet4 & Mavic Cosmic Pro's - 45mm
    Genuine question - do you think you would notice the 'extra' 3mm depth?
    eta - you could do a lot worse than having a look at cycle clinic's website, or the Hunt Wheels website.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    I'm only concerned going deeper due to crosswinds. U-shape rims are definitely what I'm looking for (I'd choose Flo over th V-shaped Kinlins), but I didn't want to list that as a requirement as I feared people would be put off recommending wheelset or rims.

I have Archetypes on Hope Pro3's as my do-it-all, but am after more aero that I can train, race, and stick on the TT front (hence the depth), when crosswinds make things a bit lively.

Alu brake tracks on deeper (fairings) than 42mm and lighter do exist though:
    FFWD F4R are 45mm deep, and come in at 1660g
    Mavic Cosmic Pro, 45mm, 1650g
    Hed Jet4 are 46mm, and 1640g
    Fulcrum Red Wind, 50mm, 1590g
    2012 Zipp 303, 45mm, 1535g
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Don't underestimate the XR31t:
    http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/20 ... lloys.html

Still, the Aforce al33 is worth a look if you want to spend considerably more for a teeny-tiny improvement.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    TimothyW wrote:
    ^ this
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have sold and built countless XR31T and people dont say is they get blown about. It is not a V shaped rim. It is quite rounded.

The Al33 Force is not an improvement except at yaw angles you rarely experience. below 7 degrees the XR31T is more aero. You spend 90% of the time below 7 degree yaw. So spend 3 times as much or whatever they cost to get a benefit that does not exist.

Light rims with deep fairings do exist but those wheels lack the stiffness of the XR31T which is one of the stiffest rims on the market. Stiff wheels feel right. they feel light in fact. Light wheels can actually feel less light than a heavier stiffer wheel.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    I have sold and built countless XR31T and people dont say is they get blown about. It is not a V shaped rim. It is quite rounded.

The Al33 Force is not an improvement except at yaw angles you rarely experience. below 7 degrees the XR31T is more aero. You spend 90% of the time below 7 degree yaw. So spend 3 times as much or whatever they cost to get a benefit that does not exist.

Light rims with deep fairings do exist but those wheels lack the stiffness of the XR31T which is one of the stiffest rims on the market. Stiff wheels feel right. they feel light in fact. Light wheels can actually feel less light than a heavier stiffer wheel.

HED Jet I suppose