Solace/Synapse

jimmocrates
jimmocrates Posts: 131
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
The wise other half has agreed that now would be a reasonable time to buy a last hurrah bike before baby #2 comes.

I didn't want to buy at peak season as I thought you got better deals post TdF when all the 2018 bikes are out.

That said, Cannondale brought their 2018 range out so Tredz have 33% off 2017 bikes.

2 bikes:

https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product ... -solace-10 £1599

+ looks sexier; cheaper
- 2016 model; by the sounds of things, could do with upgraded chainset

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Syn ... _83210.htm £1799

+ Better chainset; 2017 spec
- Wheels?/price

Heart says Scott +buy chainset (Spec looks pretty similar except for better chainset/casette/chain with the c'dale)
Head says C'dale and buy upgrade wheels.

The Solace gets pretty complimentary reviews, but the C'dale seems to win a few BOTY awards.

Anyone with experience of these?

PS: If shops can reduce price by 33% as soon as the 2018 bikes are out, why the hell did they need to increase UK RRP in the first place?

Comments

• tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    I've recently bought the Scott and have only covered around 100 or so miles but first impressions are very good. I'm changing the chainset as I'm putting my power meter on but the original works well enough.

Cheers
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I have a 2016 Synapse, and L2R off of here has the Solace. Both are extremely capable bikes.

Personally the 2017 dale colourschemes do nothing for me, and I reckon they have struggled to sell them with the 20% price hike, hence the bigger drop now, that brings them down to the same amount when the 2016 models were reduced by a smaller overall percentage.

Personally, comparing the above, I think the Solace looks the better of the rwo, neither will disappoint though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thought I should offer my view given DB's intro above :)
    I've been really impressed with my Solace, will eventually upgrade the chainset but (as others have already said) the R500 unit works well enough for now. The stock wheels have been something of a revelation though, pretty light for disc wheels. Had looked at upgrading them but have realised would have to spend a lot of money to get something significantly lighter. I do like the colourway too, the primer matt grey is a bit different. Recommended.

I was also looking at Synapses (was what I actually set out to get), but at the time the Solace trumped it on value. I'm not disappointed.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • glynrs2
    glynrs2 Posts: 4,143
    I have got a Synapse Disc Ultegra and would highly recomend it.

Check out some of the deals at Hargreaves Cycles here
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'm err-ing towards the Solace.
    Slightly better cassette/chain/chainset for £200 extra with the Synapse.

The shallow side of me just prefers the looks of the Solace and I'd quite fancy a semi-compact chainset anyway.

What difference does 160 vs 140 discs make?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    The shallow side of me just prefers the looks of the Solace and I'd quite fancy a semi-compact chainset anyway.

What difference does 160 vs 140 discs make?

Can't say re: the 160 vs 140 discs question - I suspect the 140's are ever so slightly lighter. However, the 160's on my Solace have been excellent - the surefooted braking with hydro discs (combined I suspect with the wider 28mm tyres) have been a stand out feature compared with my race bike with callipers, which can be a little skittish under sudden, hard braking.

Ultegra 6800 chain sets currently available for only £139.99 online (compact, or semi-compact). That would then match the rest of the groupset. I'm thinking of going semi-compact myself...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...