Shamal C15 vs C17

flopstocks
flopstocks Posts: 110
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi last week I picked up a set of new C15 Shamals, and have used them for one sportive. I bid on new set of 2 way C17 Shamals and ended up winning them too at a great price. So I now have two sets of Shamals and am unsure what to keep, I have no interest in fitting tubeless, as I have GP4000 II clinchers. The old shamals come in at 50g lighter (1425g vs 1475g). I am aware that the extra 2mm width makes them more aero but they are 50g heaver.

My friend is after a set, just wondering which set I should keep.

Comments

• C17s, less for the aero and more for the increased comfort you'll get from gp4000s on wider rims, especially if they are 25mm. 50g means nothing.
  • flopstocks
    What about hill climbing? As that's what I am really interested in
  • iamraymond
    iamraymond Posts: 14
    Agreed. 50g is nothing when you feel the comfort of the wider rim. Even when climbing.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    As you have both pairs already why not ride them and make a decision.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    flopstocks wrote:
    Hi last week I picked up a set of new C15 Shamals, and have used them for one sportive. I bid on new set of 2 way C17 Shamals and ended up winning them too at a great price. So I now have two sets of Shamals and am unsure what to keep, I have no interest in fitting tubeless, as I have GP4000 II clinchers. The old shamals come in at 50g lighter (1425g vs 1475g). I am aware that the extra 2mm width makes them more aero but they are 50g heaver.

My friend is after a set, just wondering which set I should keep.

Why are they more aero?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Vslowpace wrote:
    As you have both pairs already why not ride them and make a decision.

Even better, get a friend to fit one set - using your tyres, on your bike, for you so you don't know which pair you are using, then ride without looking at the wheels. Then repeat the same route with the other wheelset.

Pick which set feels best and go with them - assuming you can tell the difference........... :wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • flopstocks
    I thought I read somewhere that the C17s were more Aero maybe not. I just upgraded from Zonda's to the C15s and to be honest can tell much difference. So comparing the C17s against the C15s is probably going to be more difficult.