Which power meters to use?

AircraftHandler1979
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
About to embark in the myriad of looking at power meters. I have a Garmin Edge 1000 and have seen the Vector pedals but they look very expensive.

What other options are there? I know I'm going to open up a can of worms here but please help me.

Regards

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I went for Power2Max.
  • Palladium
    Palladium Posts: 81
    I went for 4iiii LHS PM.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    It all depends on how you want to use the power meter. Pedal systems are great for ease of transferability between bikes, if you want to keep the power meter on one bike only then I think a crank based system is probably the most proven and robust system.

I run both Vector and Power2Max, the P2M has proven more reliable and robust than the Vector.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Don't overlook a powertap hub built up into a wheel. Transferable between bikes very easily. Lots out there second hand too.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Palladium wrote:
    I went for 4iiii LHS PM.

£300 at Probikekit at the mo for 105 crank.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Palladium
    Palladium Posts: 81
    Palladium wrote:
    I went for 4iiii LHS PM.

£300 at Probikekit at the mo for 105 crank.

I paid £322 for mine, it was on ribblecycles for £278 on Sunday :(
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I use the Pioneer one but to make full use of all days available you need to use the Pioneer Cyclo computer too.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Fenix wrote:
    Don't overlook a powertap hub built up into a wheel. Transferable between bikes very easily. Lots out there second hand too.

This.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Powertap, Quarq, P2M
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    BePro
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Power2max. It's as quick to swap a crankset as pedals if the bikes have the same bottom bracket.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    philthy3 wrote:
    Power2max. It's as quick to swap a crankset as pedals if the bikes have the same bottom bracket.

....and you run the same chain rings. Less good if you run a mix.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 680
    Got a Quarq which has been excellent for 8 months so far.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    philthy3 wrote:

I regularly swap mine between my Shimano and Campag equipped bikes and have never had a problem
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    philthy3 wrote:

I regularly swap mine between my Shimano and Campag equipped bikes and have never had a problem

I think he meant the same size rings? I have 3 bikes, one 53/39, one 54/39 and one 52/36 (sometimes 50/34). Easier to swap pedals for me. (plus I run ultratorque, so no "budget" option available for crank based power).