Giant TCR Advanced

vegas76
vegas76 Posts: 278
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I'll be starting a new job that's just 3 miles from home in September so planning on cycling. Want to get myself a decent bike with disc brakes and was thinking of a giant tcr.

Does anyone here have one? Any comments? Or any other similar bikes I could look at?

Comments

• JayBM
    JayBM Posts: 20
    Nice bike, I have a 2016 model with rim brakes, and if picked up in the sales can be great value. BUT for me it would really depend on what else you want to do with it. There are almost certainly more suitable all year commuting bikes about; you are limited with tyre size and mudguards with the TCR. The geometry of the TCR is also quite racey when compared to the Defy or similar.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I own a TCR Adv and if you are just commuting 3 miles it is an overkill. If like above you are considering other activities it's a great bike but as said race geometry. I would go Defy Alu if commuting only, again I have owned it and is great as a starter bike to get someone into cycling.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    For a 3 mile commute, a carbon road bike seems the least viable option. The time it can save you over an old banger is in the region of a handful of seconds and even fun-wise, you can't have that much fun riding 3 miles (unless it involves climbing up the Great Orme and descending the other side).

For an all year commuter you have to look at practicality... things like lights, things like mudguards, things like tyres which are truly puncture resistant. I'd probably be tempted to stick to flat pedals for that distance, saves you the hassle of changing shoes, likewise I'd probably commute in normal clothes most of the times, unless it's wet.

Basically I think you are getting carried away
    left the forum March 2023
  • vegas76
    Lol someone had to pour cold water on my plan!

I'm planning to do a bit more cycling out of the commute as well. I'm fairly close to Richmond Park so will do a bit there and can also do the run to box Hill from where I am.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Vegas76 wrote:
    Lol someone had to pour cold water on my plan!

I'm planning to do a bit more cycling out of the commute as well. I'm fairly close to Richmond Park so will do a bit there and can also do the run to box Hill from where I am.

Fine, you still don't need a carbon bike for that 3 mile commute... it's worse, you don't want it... you just risk it being stolen, being damaged in a crash, components being worn prematurely by bad weather... just get a 20 quid banger to go to work and then get your TCR for your weekend riding
    left the forum March 2023
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    3 miles ? Get something like a Brompton. Mudguards on it and no need to dress like Chris Froome on the way in. Fits under the desk too.

3 miles isnt long enough for a decent ride.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    Don't listen to these guys! :roll: :lol:

I ride 6 miles to work and I'll sometimes do it on my "commuter" (which is an old mountain bike) but half the time I lycra up and take out my road bike. Usually I'll cycle straight to work but on the cycle home chuck in a few extra miles to get in some decent training.

Additionally, my road bike was a Giant Defy Aluminium which is now up for sale to be replaced by a TCR which should arrive tomorrow! I test road a lot of bikes and although my ride time on a TCR is extremely limited, in my opinion it was easily the best bike I rode.

I would listen to the advice of making sure you have an alternative mode of transport i.e. car or old banger bike. If rain is forecast... you don't want to ruin the TCR in the wet and dirt :P
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • vegas76
    Rieko - what was it you really liked about the TCR?
  • rieko
    It felt exciting and for a racey bike, it actually felt really comfortable.

I thought it would feel odd coming from the more relaxed geometry of a Defy and when I tried some of the other bikes I must admit it did. I tried the TCR though and it just felt 'right'! As comfortable as the Defy almost, but so much more responsive. I'm not saying it would be the same after a century ride or anything, but for me it was the best bike I out of the 4/5 I tried.

Obviously each person is different, but that was my own personal feeling just from an afternoon on it.

Also I think you get a lot more for your money with a Giant as well, compared to a Cannondale or BMC anyway. Maybe not Boardman or Canyon. Plus you should be able to get the 2017 model at a discount now as the 2018 bikes are coming out now... well I did anyway.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • vegas76
    That's my plan, pick up a 2017 on a discount but th sales don't appear to have started yet.
  • rieko
    I went into my local bike shop, looked interested and said I'm looking at the Giant but not sure I should buy one at full price since the sales will be on soon. He said that they are starting to sell bikes at sale price now due to the time of year and offered me the bike with %20 off.
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • vegas76
    rieko wrote:
    I went into my local bike shop, looked interested and said I'm looking at the Giant but not sure I should buy one at full price since the sales will be on soon. He said that they are starting to sell bikes at sale price now due to the time of year and offered me the bike with %20 off.

Dare I ask which part of the country you're in?
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Guy I ride with has recently purchased a Di2 TCR and loves it (non-disc).

Another guy I ride with has the disc version and loves it also.

Great bikes and very good VFM for what you get.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop