Saris Bones two bike rack?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Is it okay to put carbon bikes on these? I'm wondering if the straps will damage the finish?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• phippss
    phippss Posts: 96
    I used to find that mine would eventually scratch or rub the frame. To reduce this I used heating pipe insulation foam and cut it to fit on the seat tube and cross bar. My only other concern was the way the straps would snag on the frame when lifting the bike on and off.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Are they really designed for top end carbon bikes? I see there is a Saris GanFondo that doesnt touch the frame but looks very cumbersome.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    I've just bought the three bike version. I'd put the kids' bikes on and my alu one but definitely not my 'nice' bike.

But then I am a tart.
  • They will rub the finish if you don't protect the frame - but this goes for any bike, not just carbon. Cabling that is externally routed under the top tube can be a pain as well. Also, if I was regularly carrying 2 road bikes I'd buy the 3 bike version for the extra separation between the frames, as there is inevitably some movement on the drive. I have a Bones 3 and carry expensive carbon bikes on it when the roof bars have a box on them or I'm driving a mate to an event. On my bike I used pipe lagging to protect the top tube until I picked up one of these cheap;

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-ac ... 60746.html

I put a clean rag around the tube before tightening the down tube clamp. I use the saris straps to immobilise the wheels and use their foam blocks on the bars and frame at potential contact points between the 2 bikes. Various security cables and locks help keep the bikes from moving too much as well as discouraging thieves. Make sure the straps and contact points on the bike frame are clean before loading. Mostly common sense really. More of a faff to fit the bikes on than a roof or towbar mounted carrier but works fine.
  • IMG_5279.jpgSounds like a lot of faff.
    It doesn't need to be that way.
    Carriers that don't hold the frame are available.
    http://www.auxtail.com
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Cars that don't have tow hitches are available.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have had no bother with mine - the plastic straps seem to be quite forgiving on frame surfaces. I have used mine for carbon and my best steel frame with no signs of rubbing or scratching. If you have any worries just wrap a pair of old socks around the relevant areas (this would probably make the straps more snug as well).
    I don't use mine that often, but over the couple of years I have had it I have found it to work really well. As has been said above, I use the tightening straps to wrap around and secure the wheels.
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    Always used mine happily with different bikes, however as with many carriers the metal strap ends that touch the car will damage car paintwork so having changed car I promised myself I would not use it again until I have glued something like pond liner to the strap ends.