Campag S2 or non-S2 front mech?

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
I've just bought some Campagnolo Record shifters and a rear mech but am dithering over whether to get the S2 or non-S2 front mech.

I can see the point of having the extra bracing that the S2 setup claims to have but does it really help?

Also does anybody happen to know if it fits OK on a Canyon Ultimate frame - I've heard some FD hangers don't work well with the S2 setup.

Thanks

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I had to replace my Record front mech last year at a point where I was short of cash. I got an Athena one which cost about 25 quid against 100 quid for the Record one. The shifting is the same.
  • CptKernow
    Shortfall wrote:
    I had to replace my Record front mech last year at a point where I was short of cash. I got an Athena one which cost about 25 quid against 100 quid for the Record one. The shifting is the same.

This is the 2015+ Campag stuff, which apparently isn't backwardly compatible with 2014 Chorus or Record, let alone Athena.

Question is whether S2 system actually makes any difference, not about saving money - although that would be nice...
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Well, I bought the S2 for my Scott Foil Mk.I. Not convinced it was ideal in this case because the derailleur mount is very close to the seat tube and thus the wee lever thing doesn't really sit flush against it (although it does make contact with the frame so I suppose it's doing it's job). No idea if it's helping, but it certainly doesn't do any harm, so there's no reason NOT to get the S2 version really (I guess it must weigh an extra 1 or 2 grams or something..).

Probably a more important question is whether you need the special washer (FD-CE011) which stops the cable rubbing against the derailleur on bikes (like the Foil Mk.I) that have the mount very close to the frame... It's not included in the box and it's very annoying to discover you need it when you're fitting the mech, as I did!

The new derailleur does shift extremely well when fully set up, but I think that's more to do with the different throw than anything else. When you activate the third "click" (or second if the derailleur is trimmed for the middle and upper gears) the cage moves further than it does on the 1st and 2nd clicks, so the final "throw" that moves the chain to the bigger ring is more decisive (if that makes sense). It really is much better than the pre-2015 version.
  • CptKernow
    Just ordered a Chorus S2 front mech. Apparently it is a few grams lighter than record, but doesn't have any red bits!

neeb - thanks for the heads up about the washer and frame clearance. Will know what to do if it doesn't work out of the box.

Looking forward to some smoother changes as have gone from 39/53 to 36/52 and am finding myself changing between rings more often.
  • CptKernow
    OK. So the S2 FD fits perfectly on the Canyon. On a 52t the S2 lever presses firmly against the hanger and doesn't even touch the carbon.

BUT. (Of course) I need the "special" FD-CE011 washer, which is an additional £8 and 2 days delay. So, thanks for that Campag. Obviously a large number of frames need this but it isn't included and isn't even stocked by the big suppliers...
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I recommend these people for the FD-CE011 - arrived very quickly for me.

http://www.comtat.co.uk/products/826.htm
  • CptKernow
    neeb wrote:
    I recommend these people for the FD-CE011 - arrived very quickly for me.
    http://www.comtat.co.uk/products/826.htm

Thanks. Ordered one from them through eBay.

Will hopefully be up and running by Thurs...