high rolling resistance winter tyres

benjamess
benjamess Posts: 159
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
looking for a new set of 28mm tyres for the winter bike but also looking to do some sessions on the rollers on them when the weather is too bad so basically I need them to be puncture resistant and have as big amount of rolling resistance as possible to help increase the resistance while indoor training.

any ideas!? :D

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Lifeline essential commuter?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essent ... road-tyre/

They're a lot like marathons in my experience, pretty sturdy, certainly high rolling resistance.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    tanus solid tyre, that will be slow and punture proof by definition.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Marathons must be up there. Great winter tyre - bombproof and train hard - race easy !
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    benjamess wrote:
    looking for a new set of 28mm tyres for the winter bike but also looking to do some sessions on the rollers on them when the weather is too bad so basically I need them to be puncture resistant and have as big amount of rolling resistance as possible to help increase the resistance while indoor training.

any ideas!? :D

The rolling resistance thing is a false premise. If you are on a turbo, just turn up the resistance for the same effect.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Imposter wrote:
    benjamess wrote:
    looking to do some sessions on the rollers

The rolling resistance thing is a false premise. If you are on a turbo, just turn up the resistance for the same effect.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Fenix wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    benjamess wrote:

Ah ok, rollers. Use the gears instead then. But resistance and rollers don't really mix...
  • benjamess
    Imposter wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    benjamess wrote:

Ah ok, rollers. Use the gears instead then. But resistance and rollers don't really mix...

Yeah I do use gears, but 50x11 and I'm managing to do 6 x 5 min interval sessions at the moment, hoping to improve power and fitness before next season.

I'm not really looking to add high amounts of resistance and replicate what can be achieved climbing or on a turbo just add a few watts onto my intervals as I am very close to maxing them out now. I can definitely notice a difference between tyres as putting my TT bike on with conti podium TT tubs is a lot easier than the 28mm schwalbe ones on my winter bike (tt bike even has 53x11 gearing)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Duranos - at least you'll get some grip outdoors unlike a solid wire bead commuting tyre.
  • benjamess
    trek_dan wrote:
    Duranos - at least you'll get some grip outdoors unlike a solid wire bead commuting tyre.

just had a quick look and taking into consideration price as well I think the durano may be a winner as the rolling resistance accoding to http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com is disappointingly high :lol:
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Fenix wrote:
    Marathons must be up there. Great winter tyre - bombproof and train hard - race easy !

Yup. Marathon plus or Durano plus ticks the requested boxes. Durano plus in 25 mm is circa 380 g. 3 winters, dozens of flints picked out of the tread, no punctures. Not quick.