Gum wall/Tan side Tyres for my bike build?

AircraftHandler1979
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on what tyres are a good option for my new bike build. Want to put Gum wall/Tan side tyres on my wheels so does anyone have any information on the best and cheapest ones on the market today?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Best /cheapest are not generally the same thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Best /cheapest are not generally the same thing.

Ok the best value for money then?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Fine summer days only or year round riding on badly surfaced roads? Which is more important to you, speed or durability?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would also ask Clincher or Tubs (or perhaps Folding or Wire since that clarifies the query)...
  • Want tyres for all round riding and clinchers.

Seen Clement Strada LGG Folding Road Tyre (Tan Sidewalls).

Anyone used these?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As well as Clement - Vittoria, Veloflex, Challenge, Bontrager (probably others) all offer tyres with tan sidewalls. Do a search, pick the one that best fits your desired look and budget.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Are you after gum wall or skin wall tyres? There is a big difference between the two.

Gum wall tyres with a thick coating of rubber on the side walls are often used for touring or gravel bikes where you need heavy duty protection from scuffs.

Skin wall tyres have only minimal coating on the side walls so the casing plies are visible, making them more lively but more prone to damage and more suitable for fast road riding.
  • Panaracer Paselas are nice tyres and not expensive.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Are you after gum wall or skin wall tyres? There is a big difference between the two.

Gum wall tyres with a thick coating of rubber on the side walls are often used for touring or gravel bikes where you need heavy duty protection from scuffs.

Skin wall tyres have only minimal coating on the side walls so the casing plies are visible, making them more lively but more prone to damage and more suitable for fast road riding.

This,

although I have seen the latest Corsa G+ seem to have a more substantial coating of rubber on the walls than the previous Corsa SC.
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    I got a set of tan walls Veloflex a few years ago.
    After a few months I may as well have got a black set.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

This is the issue with using them with rim brakes and riding in the wet. So dry or disks only?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    PBlakeney wrote:

This is the issue with using them with rim brakes and riding in the wet. So dry or disks only?
    They were on a retro bike so discs were out. They were used in Mallorca so as safe for weather as you will get here, unless you only go out on guaranteed dry roads. I won't bother with tan again.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Continental Grand Prix Classics.....love mine!
  • Challenge Paris Roubaix - the Pro 300tpi is black and tan ( or black on black if you prefer ), or the SC version which is 320tpi cotton is black on white sidewalls... all with 2x puncture protection and very supple 'open tubular' clincher construction (or tubular).

Note, they spec at 27mm but on my 19mm internal rims they end up at a tad over 31mm (!)... and are a trifle 'entertaining' to get on the first time as they arrive flat ( they're not vulcanised so don't have the oval tyre shape out of the box...).

challenge-paris-roubaix-27mm-tyres.jpg