Carbon bike creaking from crank area when pedalling hard

benws1
benws1 Posts: 415
edited August 2018 in Workshop
My trusty carbon Cube Attain GTC Pro disc that was assembled by the factory work experience student on a Friday afternoon is playing up again. When out riding at the weekend I noticed that if I pedalled hard, it would make a horrible creak/cracking noise with each right pedal revolution.

I got home, stood next to the bike and pressed down on the right pedal. It made the noise again. So, I can recreate it. Also, when holding the bike, I reached down and pressed the crank to the side to see if it was loose and it made the creaking noise again. It seems to do this after I've pressed down hard on the pedal with my foot.

Anyone have any ideas? I've only had the thing for about 4 months so it can't be a wear and tear issue.

I've ordered a Shimano tool so that I can tighten the cranks to see if this helps. I also noticed it's a press fit bottom bracket on this bike. Anyone know what BB spec it is? BB30? Could the BB need re-assembling?

Other advice seems to be re-assemble and grease/carbon paste stuff like the seat post, handlebar stem etc. Could it be anything to do with these?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    First thing I would do is grease the spindle and make sure it's correctly tightened - so with the tool you've ordered.

Then I'd grease the pedal spindle on that side.

See what happens. If that doesn't do it it's the BB.

I can't see what sort of BB it has. If it's threaded then unscrew it and great the threads then put it back in.

If it's press fit then it could be all sorts of things.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • benws1
    Thanks.

Will do as you say.

Pretty sure it's a press fit BB. Guess I'll need to strip it down to see what it is.
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    If it's only 4 months old take it back to where you brought it from.
  • benws1
    Thanks.

Would do, but I've had enough of the shop I bought it from. Each time I go back they make something worse. I'm much inclined to learn how to fix it myself.

Bought it in Feb and by the time April had come around i had been back to the shop about five times. Each time I took it they kept leaving things wrong or making stuff worse. On the last visit, I had to go back into the shop three times after test riding in the car park. :)
  • delv4
    delv4 Posts: 28
    Happened to me too, genuinely thought it was the bottom bracket bearings (BB30) but no, it was just the crank arm on the non-drive side wasn't tight enough. Took it off, greased it, tightened it up correctly and creaking was gone.
  • benws1
    Thanks. I'm hoping it's that too. Don't you only tighten the crank tool by hand a bit? Then torque the crank arm Allen bolts to about 10nm?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Also, on the off chance as it takes seconds, have a quick check the rear skewer is done up dead tight.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    benws1 wrote:
    Thanks.

Would do, but I've had enough of the shop I bought it from. Each time I go back they make something worse. I'm much inclined to learn how to fix it myself.

Bought it in Feb and by the time April had come around i had been back to the shop about five times. Each time I took it they kept leaving things wrong or making stuff worse. On the last visit, I had to go back into the shop three times after test riding in the car park. :)

Yes... it's a bicycle, not a helicopter.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pressfits tend to develop a creak annoyingly, Id be tempted to remove them and put in something like Loctite 641, done a few for a locate bike group none have reported creaking since.
  • Its pressfit. I have one as my winter bike, although I've not experienced what you are.

I'd just try re-torquing everything first before you start disassembling it all. Failing that, remove, re-grease and re-install as suggested.

Although there is argument you should take it back to the shop, I wouldn't bother- these things are best learnt IMO.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Apart from the more obvious I have had the following cause what seemed to be bottom bracket creaking :-

Loose chainring
    Loose spoke(s)
    Rear Hub dying
    Headset bearing needed replacing
    Headset too tight
    Pedal bearings needed regreasing
    Pedal loose
    Saddle loose on rails
    Saddle loose in seat tube

Best advice is to carefully go over the bike and make sure nothing is loose or catching anywhere. Also put the power down on a steep hill and look at the back wheel especially to see if it is stable or wobbling. Heavier / stronger riders will put a lot more force through the wheels and drive train, light weight wheels just don't work for them.
  • benws1
    Thanks all.

When I get the Shimano tool I'll take the cranks off and refit them. I'll also look at the seat post, handlebar stem etc and will remove, grease or paste and will refit.

I am nearly 100kg so I guess I do put a lot more weight through the bike components.

I just hope it's not the BB. Anyone know if this bike is a BB30? If so, I'll need to get some tools for refitting that.

I also need to do some work on the brakes. You wouldn't think the bike is only 5 or so months old!
  • davesnothere
    davesnothere Posts: 620
    benws1 wrote:

I just hope it's not the BB. Anyone know if this bike is a BB30? If so, I'll need to get some tools for refitting that.

I also need to do some work on the brakes. You wouldn't think the bike is only 5 or so months old!

Hollowtech II

Sorry to hear you've been very unlucky with your bike. I bought mine about the same time as you and it hasn't missed a beat other than indexing I haven't had to touch it in 1100 miles
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • benws1
    joe2008 wrote:
    benws1 wrote:
    Thanks.

Yes... it's a bicycle, not a helicopter.

Helicopters aren't as noisy.
  • benws1
    benws1 wrote:

Hollowtech II

Sorry to hear you've been very unlucky with your bike. I bought mine about the same time as you and it hasn't missed a beat other than indexing I haven't had to touch it in 1100 miles

Thanks.

I don't know if its the fact that I'm heavy, or the fact that the shop I bought it from did a right hash job of assembling it. Since I had it it's never been perfect. Shame really as loads of other people seem to have the same model and don't have any issues.

Anyhow, Shimano tool arrived today so I'm riding it in the morning then taking the cranks off and refitting them. Been looking online for the bb specs just in case it is anything to do with that. Think hollowtech 2 is pf86(?) and to remove it and reinstall it I'll need some specific tools. Will see if the crank refit fixes it though.

Have simply had enough of the shop I bought it from so won't be taking it back.
  • benws1
    Its pressfit. I have one as my winter bike, although I've not experienced what you are.

I'd just try re-torquing everything first before you start disassembling it all. Failing that, remove, re-grease and re-install as suggested.

Although there is argument you should take it back to the shop, I wouldn't bother- these things are best learnt IMO.

Thanks.

Will re-torque before taking it all off.
  • I had exactly the same creaking noise from the "bottom bracket" on my GTC Attain.

Turns out it was the drive side pedal. Re greased and tightened it up, noise went away :D
  • benws1
    Thread update.

I put the bike in the garage at the end of July last year and didn't ride it until just over a month ago. I found out the cause of my woes the other day. The BB had failed and disintegrated. I'm pretty sure this is what caused the issue as I had some louder noises on the down stroke of my right foot.

Not too pleased that the BB only lasted about 30 rides, but what can you do? I have ordered some tools and a new BB and will attempt to replace it myself next week.