HED Ardennes wheel truing question

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited July 2017 in Workshop
Had to replace a twisted Sapim CX Ray spoke whilst truing a HED Ardennes rear wheel. I bought the the replacement spoke from HED (pack of 5 minimum) and when they arrived they are not Sapim. The guy at HED – who knew the spoke I needed was Sapim – said they dont have any Sapim at the moment and the other make Pillar are identical and it is okay to mix them. Turns out the new spoke is slighly thicker 1.2 rather than 0.9 mm so it has to have more tension than the others. The spokes are straight pull.

Will this wheel be okay? The annoying thing is I could have probably bought a single Sapim from Bike24 but I thought the spokes were special to HED.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Yes, it will be fine. Bit of a shame really, especially considering one pays top dollar for these wheels... that's the kind of service you expect from Planet X.

The tension will be the same, the reading different, due to a different deflection, but that doesn't really matter
    left the forum March 2023
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Yep. He could have said they didn't have any Sapim and that I could buy a single spoke somewhere else rather than just send me five Pillar spokes. They come from the US in batches sometimes Sapim sometimes Pillar, apparently.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo