2018 Cervelo R3 - Dura-Ace - Rim Brake

FitzM
FitzM Posts: 232
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Before I buy one later this month does anyone want to suggest bike that may be 'better' to spend my £4k on?
Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028

Comments

• dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Seriously at £4k buy the one you like the look of the most. I guess it's the Cervelo R3 for you otherwise why mention it?
  • FitzM
    The point of my post was to ensure I wasn't being too myopic with my choice, as I already have an S3
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Could you extra squeeze for R5
  • FitzM
    mamil314 wrote:

Probably, but my S3 and likely the R3 are better bikes than I am a rider, so the R5 would be taking the Mick :oops:
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    mamil314 wrote:

+1 ;-)
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Cervelo R3/R5 (2018) are on my short list for a new bike but I understand that the geometry is different now between the two. The R5 is more orientated towards race with a lower head tube than the more relaxed R3. So maybe one suits better then the other now. Certainly for me the R3 seems the better fit compared to what I ride now.
  • FitzM
    Stueys wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

+1 ;-)

Now that you have planted the "R5" seed I there is the choice between the 2018 R3 Dura-Ace 9100 against for roughly the same price the outgoing and now price reduced R5 Dura-Ace 9000
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    That's a nightmare decision. Lower tier model against older top tier. I'd go mad thinking about that.

This is probably completely unscientific but a clubmate had a 2012 R5 that the insurance company swapped for a 2014 version. He didn't like it quite as much as thought it was too stiff. I thought the 2018 model doesn't lose any weight but gets even stiffer so maybe the older pre-2018 version might still be a good option?

Haven't checked but I'm guessing the 2017 R5 and 2018 R3 have similar geometries if they've dropped the stack on the 2018 R5?

It's a shame Cervelo seem to keep such a well run ship in terms of supply that there won't be huge discounts on millions of older frames they have to clear. What's the deal you've been offered?

I do realise the above is just waffle but it's Friday afternoon.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    You could save yourself a few hundred £ and go for the new R3 with new Ultegra due out in October (thus missing the summer, so not great), but used the saved £ to put towards upgraded wheels?

ETA: I'm holding out for the Ultegra, I know I miss the summer but also can't justify cost of Dura Ace - but it is a beautiful bike.

Also, Canyon have a great sale on and the Ultimate CF SLX 8 is looking a bit of a bargain.
  • Eoinl
    Eoinl Posts: 13
    An interesting conundrum! It's worth looking at the geometries. AFAIK, the old R5 and new R3 have the same geometry. The new R5 has a lower stack.

The other point of note is clearances. The new R3 has greater tyre clearance than the old R3. This one feature is making me consider changing my current R3 for the new model.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    As an off topic what are you hoping the R will give you considering you have an S.

Ive promised myself a cervelo and keep flip flopping between theR and S.
    Considering aero is now king , allegedly, what is selling an R for you.

I think the 3 or 5 question needs to be answered by what you plan to do with it. The newer 3 will be less stiff than the older 5 so should be mre comfortable on longer rides. If its only for shorter runs and TT's then go for the 5

And that proves how confused I am, difference between R3 and R5 isnt that great.
  • FitzM
    That's a nightmare decision. Lower tier model against older top tier. I'd go mad thinking about that.

This is probably completely unscientific but a clubmate had a 2012 R5 that the insurance company swapped for a 2014 version. He didn't like it quite as much as thought it was too stiff. I thought the 2018 model doesn't lose any weight but gets even stiffer so maybe the older pre-2018 version might still be a good option?

Haven't checked but I'm guessing the 2017 R5 and 2018 R3 have similar geometries if they've dropped the stack on the 2018 R5?

It's a shame Cervelo seem to keep such a well run ship in terms of supply that there won't be huge discounts on millions of older frames they have to clear. What's the deal you've been offered?

I do realise the above is just waffle but it's Friday afternoon.

Yep, it's driving me a little batty. Made worse by the fact I've never seen a R5 in the 'flesh', but hopefully will next week. From what I've read the 2018 R5 has become a tad more aggressive with it's geometry, so the slightly less aggressive one sounds more appealing.

No deal yet offered, I'm just watching prices on various sites drop nearer my maximum spend.
  • FitzM
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    You could save yourself a few hundred £ and go for the new R3 with new Ultegra due out in October (thus missing the summer, so not great), but used the saved £ to put towards upgraded wheels?

ETA: I'm holding out for the Ultegra, I know I miss the summer but also can't justify cost of Dura Ace - but it is a beautiful bike.

Also, Canyon have a great sale on and the Ultimate CF SLX 8 is looking a bit of a bargain.

Ultegra 6800 is on one of my bikes and Dura-Ace 9000, while Ultegra is great, the Dura-Ace does fell noticeably smoother. So my next bike with be Dura-Ace too.

Agreed the Canyon bikes look great are keenly and a number of club members ride them, and they'd be likely where my money would go if I don't buy the Cervelo.
  • FitzM
    Eoinl wrote:
    An interesting conundrum! It's worth looking at the geometries. AFAIK, the old R5 and new R3 have the same geometry. The new R5 has a lower stack.

The other point of note is clearances. The new R3 has greater tyre clearance than the old R3. This one feature is making me consider changing my current R3 for the new model.

Not sure my back would allow me to run a low stack, and I'm probably too old to bother trying :)

My S5 runs 25mm with ample clearance, but I'd not tried anything wider. As you indicate the newer Cervelo would allow me to move to 28s but I'm happy at the moment with 25s.
  • FitzM
    Phil485 wrote:
    As an off topic what are you hoping the R will give you considering you have an S.

Ive promised myself a cervelo and keep flip flopping between theR and S.
    Considering aero is now king , allegedly, what is selling an R for you.

I think the 3 or 5 question needs to be answered by what you plan to do with it. The newer 3 will be less stiff than the older 5 so should be mre comfortable on longer rides. If its only for shorter runs and TT's then go for the 5

And that proves how confused I am, difference between R3 and R5 isnt that great.

Only reason I'm after a R is because I already have a S.
    I plan to ride it :)
    I'm a firm believer in the n+1, or in this case S+R :)
  • Did you end up getting the R3?
    Only reason I ask is I bought a 2018 R5 and it's just excellent.
    I have an S5 for out and out speedy days so I got the R5 as my go-to bike for all other rides, especially foreign trips involving long days and big hills.

Haven't noticed the geometry being too aggressive for long rides as I've had no pains at all. Climbing is light and agile, but the bike comes into its own when descending. It's sure footed and stable feel gives you bags of confidence and a huge grin.
    Not associated to Cervelo in any way, just like to give credit where it's due to a company that produce quality machinery.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Which R5 model did you go for? It's the next bike on my list.

Sub 6kg build for sure.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Dura ace mechanical with rim brakes. Havent got the spare cash for electronic and I've got this far without needing electrics!
    My LBS didn't give me the option to change the gears so it came with a 11-28 and 52-36.
    Changed the front to my old 9000 50-34 compact as I was going hill climbing in France and thought I might struggle with the semi compact.

Meant adjusting the front mech of course, but the new 9100 dérailleurs are a work of art. Have to be seen to be believed!

Handling is just incredible. Swapped brake pads for Swiss stop green. Personal preference but it all adds to the feeling of confidence when doing 50mph downhill sections. After fracturing a hip earlier in the year I had no intention of sliding down the road again!
  • Just found this thread. Echoes of a dilemma I am facing. My 2008 R3SL has been nicked, and I am looking at what to replace it with.

I can - I think - source another identical R3SL frameset. Or I am looking at a 2018 R3 or a 2016/7 R5. AIUI the headtubes got extended on the R series around 2011, and have now come back down again. And the chainstays got longer. Although the current geo says the head tube of the18 R3 is a shade under 160mm (which is what the R3SL is), an eyeball test says that the head of the fork is a lot taller, presumably to accommodate fatter tyres which no one cared about in 2008, and which I don’t care about now. So it’s not really clear to me whether the front end of the R series bikes has gone back down, or simply been reorganised.

Anyway - the more important point: anyone able to comment on ride quality and feel as between a vintage (haha) R3SL and a nouveau R3/R5?

(In case anyone is thinking of asking, yes, I already have an S Cervelo).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • FitzM wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Probably, but my S3 and likely the R3 are better bikes than I am a rider, so the R5 would be taking the Mick :oops:

If this is true, why even consider something with DA? Much higher cost of consumables like chains, cassettes but pretty much zero return of investment unless you race.

I'd go for newer with newest revision of the Ultegra and then use leftover cash for wheels.

From what I remember I thought a lot of the C-brand bikes intentionally come with mediocre wheelsets because they know the buyer is going to fit their own fancy carbon wheels anyway?