MTB for 12 year old

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
Need to get a mountain bike for my 12 year old daughter. Toughest thing she'll tackle is a red trail at a trail centre.

I'm thinking the Isle Creig 26 if money was no object and the resale value would justify it.

BUT

It seems crazy to spend that much when it'll mostly be used for general kids riding around the block stuff. You know what they're like throwing them about and leaving them lying around and generally not looking after them as kids do.

So I'm now thinking of getting a fixes fork 26" wheel bike and there aren't that many to choose from. Anyone got any recommendations?

Currently considering

Hoy 26
https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-bonaly- ... e-EV246166

Isla Beinn 26 parge with some knobbly tyres

TIA

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That looks pretty poor value to be honest 8 speed for £430 is unconscionable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've just bought my 12 year old a used Giant Talon. 26" extra small in near new condition for £130 from ebay.
    The advantage of a 26" mountain bike is everyone has spares they can't use. I got some Continental Trail King black chilli tyres in return for a pint. A set of Reba forks for £50 and various other bits for bugger all
    The bike is a perfect fit and once she grows out of it I can just swap the frame for a bigger one.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or swap the kid for a smaller one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools