Bike computer

Alexcycling
Alexcycling Posts: 20
edited July 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi guys I want to buy myself a bike computer but I need some advice . I am looking for a bike computer that can connect to Strava and where friends and family can see where I am on there phone or computer and with GPS navigation because I always get lost . So I was thinking about the Garmin 820 , but I saw a lot of negative videos on YouTube about the touchscreen. Is it true ? Any other device or brand that would suit me better ? I tried a long time just with my phone , but having to hold it in my hand and not having my speed , low battery and having to switch it on every time with my sweets hands making the fingerprint unlocker unusable isn't a option anymore. ( even with Quadlock ) . Thx for helping me out because most information on the internet I found was or useless or sponsered or bs .

Comments

• Palladium
    Palladium Posts: 81
    Let me summarise, you want a computer that can:
    • Connect to Strava
    • Send a live track link to friends&family
    • GPS navigation
    • Decent battery life

How much are you willing to spend? Since you mentioned the Garmin 820, I assume your budget is £250.

I'd recommend a Wahoo elemnt/Wahoo elemnt Bolt, they have had some great reviews on here, I am also a proud owner of the Bolt. Costs £200 or £260 with the bundle.

If you have an old crappy cycling computer lying around you can send that in and get £50 cashback on the Elemnt.

Have a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13078532 especially viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13078532&start=140#p20172975
  • Would have to be the Garmin Edge! I have the Garmin Edge 800 but its about 3 years old now so there are newer models out now! but never thought I would ever spend so much money ona cycling computer but its been well worth it!
    I even used it as a sat nav in my car just attached it to the steering wheel! brilliant 70 mile journey all country roads took me straight there never got lost!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    https://www.topcashback.co.uk/probikekit/ 6% for next 3 days

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-co ... 46427.html

http://www.lezyne.com/product-gps-super ... WdOeYgrIuU

I have above hopefully arriving tomorrow, after cashback for ~£96, bargain-tastic... I hope! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bold seagull
    bold seagull Posts: 145
    oxoman wrote:
    Have used Garmin edge touring and fallen out of love with it I now use my Samsung phone. It lasts longer and is more reliable than the garmin, I just set it up with auto pause and leave in pocket either on MTB or road bike, has been pretty much 100% reliable compared to garmin thing. Based on recent rider comments I'd be looking at the Wahoo range if I decide to get dedicated GPS computer.

Agree with this. I take my phone with me on rides, why pay for an additional computer when you have all the processing power you need? I use Wahoo HR and SC and it connects to the iPhone fine.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    For the guys who use a mobile, what is the battery life like if using it for GPS and also logging the ride on Strava?
    I did a 12 hour ride last week, the Garmin didn't last the entire route but its reasonably easy to top the garmin up on the go, it tops up quickly so during a 20 minute break there is then plenty of charge to last me another 3 hours of map reading and recording. How would this compare to a phone? I have a power bar I can plug in but now while riding as its not stable enough.
    I find the Garmin mapping on my 810 quite annoying. Mine is a good few years old now, the re-routing is non existent which drives me mad. The text will often freeze so the directions don't match the map (it will say Turn Left at x Road and it will stay saying that until I cancel then start the course)
    Also, what App do you use to follow a GPX file?
    My battery life on my Samsung phone isn't great, but I'm about to get a replacement S7 Edge due to a faulty screen.
    Last question, is there a tough out front holder for Samsung phone's, needs to be very water resistant.

Sorry about going slightly off topic. But my Garmin is getting infuriating now.
  • Palladium
    Palladium Posts: 81
    I used an iPhone7 for a couple of months for Strava, now own a Wahoo Bolt so thought I could shed some light on the situation...

Comparison:
    • iPhone battery lasted max 2 hours, Bolt lasts 15+ hours.
    • iPhone strava app is kind of broken, doesn't show cadence.
    • iPhone strava app shows GPS speed not the speed sensors speed
    • iPhone battery has been MURDERED after going through at least 2 charges a day
    • iPhone strava app you cannot change what you want to see on your screen
    Phone is perfect for a casual rider, not really for a semi-competitve rider or someone who spends and hour+ on the bike per day

Phone case? Quadlock.
    Waterproof? Clingfilm.
  • bold seagull
    bold seagull Posts: 145
    w00dster wrote:
    For the guys who use a mobile, what is the battery life like if using it for GPS and also logging the ride on Strava?
    I did a 12 hour ride last week, the Garmin didn't last the entire route but its reasonably easy to top the garmin up on the go, it tops up quickly so during a 20 minute break there is then plenty of charge to last me another 3 hours of map reading and recording. How would this compare to a phone? I have a power bar I can plug in but now while riding as its not stable enough.
    I find the Garmin mapping on my 810 quite annoying. Mine is a good few years old now, the re-routing is non existent which drives me mad. The text will often freeze so the directions don't match the map (it will say Turn Left at x Road and it will stay saying that until I cancel then start the course)
    Also, what App do you use to follow a GPX file?
    My battery life on my Samsung phone isn't great, but I'm about to get a replacement S7 Edge due to a faulty screen.
    Last question, is there a tough out front holder for Samsung phone's, needs to be very water resistant.

Sorry about going slightly off topic. But my Garmin is getting infuriating now.

If you don't do anything to the iPhone, don't turn off wifi, turn off 3g and 4g, turn off notifications and background app refresh, turn down the brightness a bit, then it won't last as long as it can do. It isn't a device for having the screen on nice and bright for your entire ride. It is more turn the gps data on, then consult it when you need it. Wahoo app can display data on its own from BT devices. I use MotionX-GPS for uploading GPX files, which is quite good and easy to follow if you using a route, although you'll need your data turned on, so if you are following a route, it depends on how much you consult it = battery life. If the battery is lasting 2 hours, there is something wrong with the phone / battery / settings.

My iPhone 6 happily records 5hour+ rides and has a lot of charge to spare, and I've followed a routes 100+ miles too. You have to set the phone up though to minimise battery use if you want it to last a fair old lick, and not expect it to show everything full brightness with everything else running as normal. When using Strava you can have that running in the background recording the ride, then use the Wahoo app for showing you data if your have HR and SC sensors.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Getting lost is part of the fun of cycling. Are you relatively new to the sport ? Your sense of direction will improve and you'll find routes. One of the basic garmins lets you plan a route and tells you which way to go - but its not full GPS maps - just a line to follow.

A smart phone in the back pocket recording strava will last through most rides of sensible length and Strava Beacon will show people where you are.

I don't really feel the need for the phone to be on the bars - just a distraction. Do your ride and check stats later.