Converting MTB to Electric

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited July 2017 in MTB general
I have an On One 456 evo Carbon bike I bought for my son over a year ago and now decided not to use it, so I thought about converting this to electric.

I would get it done by a dealer / shop as such don't truest myself so a few questions:

Is the bike up to taking one of the conversions

Is it worth it if going for a decent setup

Any places in Scotland that do it.

Comments

• viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=13072864

If you read through the above thread, I don't think you'll get too many positive responses see on here! There seems to be a dislike of eMTB. I would say go and have a chat with a few different LBS and see what they say. Do a bit of research online first into an eMTB to find out exactly what they have / need that a regular bike does. This should at least give you a decent understanding when talking to an LBS. good luck with it. Despite the inevitable negative feedback, you should do a build log on here as well. Even if the majority aren't in favour, there will be some people interested.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It depends on the intended use generally whether people are pro or anti.

The 456 Carbon is more than up to handling an e-bike kit (legal or illegal).

If its just for road/gravel track use a hub motor would be fine.

For more challenging riding a midmount makes for a much nicer bike.

Being carbon and not round tubes may make it harder to fit the hardwear.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.