Shoulder and hand ache-advice

millerblade
millerblade Posts: 26
edited July 2017 in MTB general
Hi.

Im a new rider. I have a mountain bike.

The place near me charges £150 for a bike fit and no way can I afford that.

When riding I think I must be rolling my shoulders forward, all my body pressure through my shoulders, down my arms and into the base of my hands (not carpel tunnell). So both my shoulders ache while rding, so does my neck and my hands feel like my entire bodt is against them!

How can I eliminate this?

Thank you

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    What have you done to try and get the bike to fit properly? Saddle height is pretty easy to sort, give it a Google. Then you can move the saddle forwards and backwards to get your knee in the correct position, again, Google is your friend.

How tall are you and what size/brand/model bike are you riding?
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • jamski wrote:
    What have you done to try and get the bike to fit properly? Saddle height is pretty easy to sort, give it a Google. Then you can move the saddle forwards and backwards to get your knee in the correct position, again, Google is your friend.

How tall are you and what size/brand/model bike are you riding?

Hi.

Im 5ft 1".
    My bike is a 16" frame carrera vengeance mtb.

I went to my LBS and he said my seat needed to be a lot higher. However after explaining how Im a new rider and cant stand not having my tiptoes on the floor he said ti get used to riding and then higher my seat gradually. Other than that he didnt say much.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I think your bike is too big for you from the Halfords size chart 16" frame bike is 5' 5" - 5' 10".

The saddle should be high enough so there is a slight bend in you leg when you have the pedal down in line with the seat tube.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are you using it on or off road? Mountain bikes are rubbish on road because you're stuck in one position where a road bike let's you change position.
    Off road, as long as it's not too stupid then bike fit isn't worth bothering with because you're constantly moving around on the bike and often out of the saddle.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    The Vengence womens 14" frame would have been a better size for you.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can shorten the cockpit with either (or both) an inline seatpost and a shorter stem.

I'd be just getting the saddle to the right height and getting used to sliding off the saddle as you stop, if you keep riding with the saddle to low you'll get used to it (while knackering your knees) and never put it right.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.