Back wheel and chain issues

Mark-darlo
Mark-darlo Posts: 9
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have not long bought a gt I drive which looked to be in good condition, I went out on it a few times and no issues till last week.
When out I had issues that I thought were to do with gear changes so I've sorted this but I now know the issues are other things.

When you peddle and you put your foot down hard you can hear clunking at the back, it sounds like something is missing something. Then when you stop peddling the chain continues to come round but it falls to the floor from the top between front and rear derailleur. If you don't start peddling then it will continue to drop but when you peddle it has to catch up.
When you lift the bike and spin the back wheel it comes to a stop practically straight away so I'm assuming all these issues may be from one thing. I can't understand how the chain keeps coming round like it does.

Thanks for any help
Iv got videos of what it does but not sure how to post them on here

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like the freehub bearings are dead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or the freewheel pawls are jamming, it may not be bearings depending on how they are arranged.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers guys.. I will do a little research on sorting these issues out and see if its them. Could do without this as I was ment to be on a charity ride on Sunday
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Pawls jamming can be too much grease (usually in winter tbh, when the grease becomes more viscous) or grease plus a lot of mud/ dust / dead ostrich. Easy to clean out and very easy to lose bits.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The inside was just shot to bits so I have gone for a new wheel, at least it is now sorted anyway