Can anyone tell me what this used bike is worth

Mizter
Mizter Posts: 21
edited July 2017 in MTB buying advice
We will be looking to sell the sons old bike this chrsitmas as we plan to get him an adults 16" frame now. Hopefully the voodoo bantu or carrera vulcan.

The bike we will be selling is a Carrera Blast 24" wheel, that I had put some upgrades on over the last 2 years. This is last years model which was green and white, not the ugly blue and yellow one halfords sell now.

Upgrades were:

- Replaced the rubbish clarks mechanical disc brakes with a set of Shimano Altus M355 hydraulics and stuck on some new Shimano Alivio rotors. (£50 total) the difference with these was night and day. The clarks mechanical brakes were terrible.

- Replaced the rubbish grip shifts it came with for SRAM X3 7-Speed Trigger Shifters (£15)

- LIZARD SKINS LOCK-ON CHARGER GRIPS (£12)

- SRAM X3 Rear Derailleur upgrade (£12)

- Just put on 2 new Schwalbe Black Jack MTB Tyres (£25)

- Replaced the bottom bracket recently as the old one had some play in it.

Think we paid £230 for the bike new, then upgraded all the parts above I thought let the bike down over the following 2 years. Condition of the bike is pretty good for a 2 year old kids bike, the only real bad point is it has a tiny nick out of the saddle material (about the size of a 5 pence peice)

Any idea what I could get for this bike selling used? What would be a fair price to ask for a week or two before chrsitmas?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Its not rocket science.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 5573.m1684

Find some similar and see what they sold for.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    £3 and a Spuggies egg
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    As above, whatever people are willing to pay for it. I bought a 2nd hand Carrera blast for my daughter last year and they were going for ~£100 on ebay in good condition. Whether you get more than this due to your upgrades will depend on whether anyone is bothered about the upgrades. The majority of people will just see it as a childs bike and not be that fussed about it as long as it looks nice enough to give to their child.
  • sniper68
    My lad had a Carrera Blast 20",no "upgrades" but "upgrades" are personal.We gave it away to a Local bike Library scheme that's just started.I could probably have got £70/80 for it but couldn't be arsed with the hassle of advertising it etc.I'll do the same with his Voodoo Bakka 24" when he out grows that.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    ibbo68 wrote:
    My lad had a Carrera Blast 20",no "upgrades" but "upgrades" are personal.We gave it away to a Local bike Library scheme that's just started.I could probably have got £70/80 for it but couldn't be arsed with the hassle of advertising it etc.I'll do the same with his Voodoo Bakka 24" when he out grows that.

I tried to do that with a Specialized Hardrock and Kona Hula for Reading Cycle Cafe - but they could never be bothered to come and get them. Still sitting in the garage as I cant be bothered to sell them but cant find anyone else I would want to give them to... Will get round to selling them one day!
  • sniper68
    apreading wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:

I tried to do that with a Specialized Hardrock and Kona Hula for Reading Cycle Cafe - but they could never be bothered to come and get them. Still sitting in the garage as I cant be bothered to sell them but cant find anyone else I would want to give them to... Will get round to selling them one day!
    Non of ours collect either.Luckily it's run by a new bikeshop near work.