best virtual training programs

Guys, what are the best virtual cycling programs or apps for use with a smart trainer? something with real life video of climbs that can be simulated at my own pace

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    BigRingVR is excellent (and free at the moment). http://bigringvr.com/

Masses of HD quality video rides with excellent interface and on-screen data, plus good gradient transitions and feel.
    The guys that run it are very good and responsive.
    New rides are being added all the time.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Dabber wrote:
    BigRingVR is excellent (and free at the moment). http://bigringvr.com/

Masses of HD quality video rides with excellent interface and on-screen data, plus good gradient transitions and feel.
    The guys that run it are very good and responsive.
    New rides are being added all the time.

Tried this yesterday for the first time and it's actually pretty good!
  • Does the gradient change with smart trainers like on zwift? Is this picked up in the strava file or whatever post ride?
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    With Bigringvr smart trainer resistance does change with gradient change. I can't answer specific question regarding strava as I don't use it but I do know that the post ride file (I save as tcx) contains the gps data for gradient and track which appear on the software I use.

I haven't tried it in a while but the other good thing with Bigringvr was you can add paths to other video folders so I have used Tacx videos with it as well, of which I have loads.

I also use Velo Reality as I like the dashboard but whilst the software is free beyond the test video you have to purchase their videos.

Here's also a list I went through of what was available;
    http://darrencope.com/cycling-software/
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Does the gradient change with smart trainers like on zwift? Is this picked up in the strava file or whatever post ride?

yes and yes .... I have only done 2 rides on BigRing ..... the gradient change is smooth and realistic and when you save it gets uploaded to Strava complete with a map of where you were virtually riding.

I find the video footage a bit weird though ... its been recorded on a car, so despite you only doing 5mph up Alp duez ... you are over taking cyclists that are cycling quicker, but going slower and moving in s l o w m o t i o n ... I am sure you get used to it, but I prefer Zwift because of it .. oh that and the interaction with Zwift
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    With BigRingVr you can also create your own rides/videos. Simply film your ride (mp4 format) and record it on your Garmin (or whatever) and put the resulting gpx file in the correct folder. The start and end points of the video/gpx file need to be at the same points.
    You can then "ride" that route on BigRingVR... it works well and from my own experience the speed and elevation matches the real thing pretty closely. I created a 10 mile TT Strava segment within one of these rides.... both the virtual ride and real life one, and my times are very similar.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    tried a couple of these, and went back to Zwift. Can't beat the Epic KOM climb, I reckon.
  • Marvinman
    Marvinman Posts: 126
    Been following this thread and looking at Big Ring Virtual riding website. It looks interesting and something I may try out as part of buying a new smart trainer. Before I take the plunge could someone help me understand a few points:

1. Does the video slow down/speed up depending upon your own speed up the climb. I am struggling to figure out how it works when the video is obviously a set time but your own speed up the climb may be faster/slower than the time it took to film the footage?

2. Do the videos have their own music on them, the video clips on their website suggests they do but would like to check.

Thanks,
  • on2wheels
    on2wheels Posts: 102
    New to virtual training programs, so please excuse my ignorance. My question is can you use these apps using rollers or do you have you have to have a turbo/smart turbo

Thanks in advance
  • Marvinman wrote:
    Been following this thread and looking at Big Ring Virtual riding website. It looks interesting and something I may try out as part of buying a new smart trainer. Before I take the plunge could someone help me understand a few points:

1. Does the video slow down/speed up depending upon your own speed up the climb. I am struggling to figure out how it works when the video is obviously a set time but your own speed up the climb may be faster/slower than the time it took to film the footage?

2. Do the videos have their own music on them, the video clips on their website suggests they do but would like to check.

Thanks,
    Hadn't seen your questions sooner but in response,

1) the videos do slow down/speed up with your speed. The time and distance that the videos were originally filmed at are fixed but the frames per second that they play at will vary with your speed. The video motion can become jerky when you're riding is slower than the original recording speed and where the frame rate drops below 24fps but this can be largely addressed with higher fps rates.

2) There's no music or sound on the videos.
  • on2wheels wrote:
    New to virtual training programs, so please excuse my ignorance. My question is can you use these apps using rollers or do you have you have to have a turbo/smart turbo

Thanks in advance
    The virtual training programs mentioned require a connection from an ANT+ device as they operate by the speed motion of the back wheel. If you've got an ANT+ speed (and cadence) sensor on you're bike you might be able to connect it directly so that the videos would play but you obviously wouldn't get the resistance feedback through the rollers. It would be no diffence from you just watching a video whilst on the rollers.

If you're looking for something to help structure training on the turbo there might be something in the link I posted previously or if it's the videos of the climbs then old Tacx videos are good if you can get them, otherwise look at the usual video sources.