Di2/Disc Newbie needs help

meursault
meursault Posts: 1,433
edited July 2017 in Workshop
Took delivery of my Cannondale Synapse Di2 Ultegra today.

I've only ever ridden non disc non electric gears.

Can you help with some issues or advice?

I cannot align the front wheel so it's straight and doesn't rub on anything. Is there some mystical spell I'm not doing right?

Di2 Is dead. Is there a specific order to plug in the various connectors, or can they go anywhere? Is there an on button?
I tried holding a shifter to get battery status, but it's dead.

Shall I just take to bike shop or send back for refund?

I want to ride my bicycle.
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's a new bike. Take it back and get it sorted.

Di2 doesn't need to be assembled in a correct sequence. Plug it all in; it should work.
  • meursault
    CiB wrote:
    It's a new bike. Take it back and get it sorted.

Di2 doesn't need to be assembled in a correct sequence. Plug it all in; it should work.

Thanks. It would need sending back, up near Leeds somewhere. Getting it delivered has already been a saga as stated in my Fedex thread.

Voltaire
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    meursault wrote:

Try charging the battery first, it might be flat and need charging hence the reason for no lights etc.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Did I understand from the FedEx thread that the bike was sold without a charger??? That's crazy. Most LBSs will have one and they normally charge really fast but I can't understand getting any rechargeable system without the charger.

Too lazy to check the wheel system for the bike: assume it's QR as you talk about alignment. Whatever, the wheel should just fit it like any wheel - no alignment adjustment needed. If it's rubbing, then whatever it's rubbing against needs adjusting.

I'm wondering, from what you describe, whether the bike was packed in a way that the brake and Di2 levers were being depressed in transit so flattened the battery and extended the brake pistons.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    meursault wrote:
    Took delivery of my Cannondale Synapse Di2 Ultegra today.

I've only ever ridden non disc non electric gears.

Can you help with some issues or advice?

I cannot align the front wheel so it's straight and doesn't rub on anything. Is there some mystical spell I'm not doing right?

Di2 Is dead. Is there a specific order to plug in the various connectors, or can they go anywhere? Is there an on button?

Shall I just take to bike shop or send back for refund?

I want to ride my bicycle.

Assuming the disc is not warped (spin wheel and look, they do get banged in transit), then you need to make sure the wheel is fully seated in the dropouts (bike on ground, lean on bars, undo and redo QR (if it has thru axles you can ignore the last bit)). Then if it is still rubbing you will need to adjust the caliper (loosen holding bolts, put brake on hard, tighten bolts whilst holding brake on firmly, make sure that the caliper does not move when doing up the bolts).

P.S. Charge the battery.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • meursault
    Did I understand from the FedEx thread that the bike was sold without a charger??? That's crazy. Most LBSs will have one and they normally charge really fast but I can't understand getting any rechargeable system without the charger.

Too lazy to check the wheel system for the bike: assume it's QR as you talk about alignment. Whatever, the wheel should just fit it like any wheel - no alignment adjustment needed. If it's rubbing, then whatever it's rubbing against needs adjusting.

I'm wondering, from what you describe, whether the bike was packed in a way that the brake and Di2 levers were being depressed in transit so flattened the battery and extended the brake pistons.

Yes no charger included. It's good to know it's nothing I appear to be doing wrong. I have spoken to shop and it's getting Fedexed back to shop for adjusting and a charger. I was thinking if I get a pncture I am going to be knackered trying to delicately adjust this thing, so good to know it should fit like any other wheel.

Cheers!

Voltaire
  • meanredspider
    Yup - wheel should pop straight in and I'm glad that they've agreed that there should be a charger. Which shop is it? I don't know that they've served you very well and I know from my Evans debacle of two cracked-framed Renegades that new bike issues are sad.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Light rubbing of the disc on pads is far from unusual.

Sounds like just sending you the charger would have been quicker and cheaper!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I would just buy a charger and do it yourself. You can't Feds it back every 1500 miles to get the di2 battery charged!

As for the wheel not going in, as mentioned if the disc is not warped then it is probably the caliper alignment. Again, simple to rectify yourself - take a look on YouTube for instructional videos. This is once more something that you can really do yourself with one Allen key (or torx bit) and YouTube! And of course these simple tasks, coupled to disc brake pad changes is something you really want to do yourself as they really are simple and not worth the labour of a lbs...or the FedEx charge for each job on top!

PP
  • meanredspider
    I don't think he's sending it back to get it charged. I think they're going to supply a charger. They bloody well should.

I agree on sending it back being extreme though.
  • meursault
    Yup - wheel should pop straight in and I'm glad that they've agreed that there should be a charger. Which shop is it? I don't know that they've served you very well and I know from my Evans debacle of two cracked-framed Renegades that new bike issues are sad.

Its http://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/

Communications have been very good, but I am a bit surprised no charger included or battery having a charge. Front wheel definitely does not fit correctly in drops. Wheel will not align centrally and rubs enough to make it unusable. Probably done in transit?

Seems like it was packed up without much thought or care. I could understand for a £300 bike but two grand? Maybe they're shifting bikes like hot cakes?

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    I would just buy a charger and do it yourself. You can't Feds it back every 1500 miles to get the di2 battery charged!

As for the wheel not going in, as mentioned if the disc is not warped then it is probably the caliper alignment. Again, simple to rectify yourself - take a look on YouTube for instructional videos. This is once more something that you can really do yourself with one Allen key (or torx bit) and YouTube! And of course these simple tasks, coupled to disc brake pad changes is something you really want to do yourself as they really are simple and not worth the labour of a lbs...or the FedEx charge for each job on top!

PP

I don't mind a bit of tinkering, not that I am any good at it. But I am brand new to discs and di2, and it's a new bike. Don't think I should be taking disc brakes apart and putting them back together again before I've ridden it.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Thanks for all the help, much appreciated and put my mind at rest.

Voltaire