Rear rack to take 3 bikes, and not obstruct lights\No plate

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,584
edited July 2017 in Commuting chat
Evening all,

my parents have for reasons best know to themselves, bought a towbarless 2006 Nissan X-Trail - one of these beauties:

nmgb_237_05.jpg

And I am now hunting for a rear rack that can take 3 bikes.

Looking to spend less than £70 if at all possible.

Is this the best kind of option?
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/halfords-rear-high-mount-3-cycle-carrier

Any specific recommendations through personal experience?

Won't be in heavy use.

Thanks!
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Wouldn't 3 bikes fit in the back? I can take 3 bikes and riders with just front wheels off in a old Volvo.

The X trail doesn't look much different in size? Which would save in the bother with bike racks.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I can only recommend a seasucker rack, but I would think that what you've linked to won't work, as the lights on an X-trail are high on the D pillar and thus will be obscured.
    I'd try Roger's suggestion if the rear seat folds 40:60.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Good luck putting a rear rack on that that doesn't obscure things. Basically you'd need invisible bikes.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Saris Bones 3, cardboard number plate, wheels only in the boot.

Alternatively, bikes in the boot, with back seats down, and buy train tickets for your parents?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Saris Bones 3, cardboard number plate, wheels only in the boot.

Alternatively, bikes in the boot, with back seats down, and buy train tickets for your parents?
    The fine is actually heavier for having a non-official number plate than for not displaying one at all, apparently. For the sake of five quid off eBay, get an official-looking one.
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou for all the replies - sorry this, was a hurried post on my phone, should have put more background.

My parents are now living in Mauritius, and I have two bikes here - first time we have visited their place, and although it is 5 minutes from the beach, and great for running, due to it's virtual peninsula positioning (The roads make it seem like it is) all of the roads out are busy, and not that wide - the driving here is not ideal.

So my next plan is to borrow their car, lump 2 or 3 bikes on the back, and find some better roads elsewhere on the island.

However, as it would only be 2 or 3 of us going out, of course taking the front wheels, and saddles off is the simpler and cheaper option - I do this in my own Volvo as was mentioned further up the thread :oops:

Bizarrely, even though it's allegedly an SUV, it has a shorter load bay than my Volvo :evil:
    Nuts.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Pffft - I'd assume that there, you'd be unlucky to get stopped, and a few hundred rupees would smooth any claimed transgression of the local Highway Code.
  • daniel_b
    You could well be correct!

They are pretty hot on speeding here though, mobile and fixed cameras are common.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    I had this model of x trail four or five years ago and had a similar contraption on the back to carry three bikes, it's probably still in the shed.

It was easy to install and always did the job but never filled me with great confidence, was forever checking the mirrors to see if the bikes were still there!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross