Electric Unicycle for Kids? Thoughts?

TylerDyrden
TylerDyrden Posts: 6
Hello everyone! We are a family of four. Our kids are 9 and 13 years old (both boys). We've been biking together most of the time. But recently, my boys are asking me to buy them an electric unicycle like this https://transportationevolved.com/best- ... -unicycle/ During my childhood days, I never thought that this kind of thing will exist. I'm still not sure if I have to get them one because I really have no idea. Any thoughts about this? Or does anyone of you here owns an electric unicycle? Is it okay for kids? I told them to have a hoverboard instead since it's cheaper and I think it would be safer. They still insist the unicycle though.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get them a normal one. I don't see the point of an electric one.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    make sure its capable of taking 80kg ..... that way you can have a go ... I would buy it for my kid .. looks like a fun toy
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I'm with Cougie, get them a standard unicycle..............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    spammer
  • cougie wrote:
    Get them a normal one. I don't see the point of an electric one.

I know right. That's what I keep on telling my kids especially that they're too expensive! :(
  • fat daddy wrote:
    make sure its capable of taking 80kg ..... that way you can have a go ... I would buy it for my kid .. looks like a fun toy

So yeah, I'm really having a dilemma. Being a parent, sometimes you couldn't just say no to your kids even though it's expensive. My kids don't usually ask me to buy them things but this time, they asked me for one. They are really good so I thought maybe I can go for it to give them.
  • natrix wrote:
    I'm with Cougie, get them a standard unicycle..............

Thanks for your input. Kids these days really are different. It started when they saw someone riding this and they think it's so cool that they also wanted to have one.
  • Imposter wrote:
    spammer

I'm just asking a question here and you say I'm a spammer??
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    First time poster with a link to a product ?

Yeah - that's a fair conclusion. Of course if you hang around and keep posting we may change our initial views.

Actually after seeing how much the unicycle is - then I can't believe a grown up would need to ask on here - that's crazy money.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    no ... don't get a unicycle ... they want a fun cool toy to play with.

think to when you were a kid, if you wanted a Action man / GI Joe for your birthday and you parents thought .. no its not they toy, they can have a spirograph ... really, are you going to play with it ?

if they wanted a unicycle they would ask for one ... you are buying "them" a toy neither item is needed, required, gives them a start in life .. its just a freaking toy, get them the one they will play with.

"hey mum can I have a scalectrix for Christmas" ... " no dear here is a my little pony, its the toy I want"
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    really, are you going to play with it ?

My experience is that it doesn't matter if they ask or not within reason.

What they see often looks great until they actually try but a great deal ends up in the cupboards after an initial use.