Microshift bar end shifter 11 speed, issue

mary1966
mary1966 Posts: 3
edited July 2017 in Workshop
Hi,
I just bought a new triathlon/tt style bike that came with microshift bar end shifters model BS-A11. The rear cassette has 11 gears and a shimano 105 derailleur.

In general the assembly went well. The shifter for the rear derailleur only has 5 "clicks" which even before I installed this seemed strange, but I installed it figuring it wasn't broken from the factory. When installed it only changes through 5 gears, which makes sense to me. I only get 5 clicks whether the shifter has a cable connected to it, or if I am just holding it in my hand (no cable connected).

I have had a back and forth with the company that I bought the bike through and they say that it only should have 5 clicks.

I looked online and emailed the microshift comany and haven't been able to find any useful information.

I am asking for a quick sanity check. Does this seem correct? Does anyone have these shifters, and is this the correct behavior?

This doesn't seem like an indexing problem to me, but since I have limited experience with indexed shifters I was hoping that someone might be able to help me clarify is this a hardware issue or an error in how I installed the item.

Thanks

Comments

• boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    What do the installation instructions say?
  • mary1966
    mary1966 Posts: 3
    Unfortunately, it came with zero instructions, and the ones I located online were not useful (more marketing fluff than actual pictures).

Last night I took it off the bike entirely and started really looking at it and found that there was a small cam that could be twisted which then gave me the range of motion needed to work with the 11-speed cassette. Happy that I got it working and have completed the assembly and the fine tuning of the drive train.

Thanks!