How are people paint stripping frames?

shaunhutchinson
shaunhutchinson Posts: 15
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have a nice wee 6061 T6 aluminium frame through the magic of eBay to get me back on some wheels. Looks a bit scruffy but joints and tubes are good. I'm aiming to refurbish it starting with a paint strip.

I have heard nightmare stories about softmedia/bead blasting, heat treatment, chemical strips.

How are you all stripping frames?

Advice and photo examples are very welcome.

Cheers mi dears.

SHAUN

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't see the point unless it's classic or a garage queen.

It'll just get pranged up again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pay for a pro job and it'll be stunning. Not worth doing it yourself.
  • cooldad wrote:

Garage queen?
  • cougie wrote:
    Pay for a pro job and it'll be stunning. Not worth doing it yourself.

I'll be honest. I enjoy the making and renovation part more than the riding sometimes. I'm treating more like a hobby. However, I'm talking to a stripper this afternoon. As I'm not getting much advice from good folk from a DIY perspective in general.

Do you know any good renovation forums for bikes?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

Garage queen?

Old bike (or whatever) done up beautifully but not ridden. Like concours cars trailered to meetings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • shaunhutchinson
    shaunhutchinson Posts: 15
    edited July 2017
    *** update ***

Went to a bike parts renovator in worcester, and the owners wife took it off me and placed it in one of her mega vats of stripping chemicals. Told to come back later. Looking forward to seeing the results. Yay! :D *rubs hands*
  • cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Garage queen?

Old bike (or whatever) done up beautifully but not ridden. Like concours cars trailered to meetings.

LOL... I lecture in transport design so I have seen many many a show bike/car/etc. This is not for that, I'm aiming to build a cafe racer for that. This latest effort is because I have just moved into the sticks and there are so many awsome trails and paths. Of course i like to take a wee bit of pride in machine ware but this will be used well.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Not sure how best to strip the paint, but you'll save some weight by leaving it unpainted. ;)
  • Uber_Pod wrote:
    Not sure how best to strip the paint, but you'll save some weight by leaving it unpainted. ;)

Really, do you think it would save much?

I'm not really taking it that serious but I quite like the thought of riding the frame naked. I had a saracen once that had a realistic matt aluminium paint job. looked nice.

I might just polish it up and pop a wee coat of 2K clear coat on it as I think aluminium oxidises does it not?

Anyway, here is a quick pic of my wee 20" T6 6061 taking a bath in the stripping vats at Zed-Part, the renovator I mentioned.

quick-pic.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Paint will be about 250g on that,
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Paint will be about 250g on that,

250g... not bad as a by product of just wanting to clean up the frame. Below are pics of the stripped frame that Zed Parts did for me. It all happened really quickly they told me.

The owner originally thought it would be an overnight soak because it was a polymer coat, but he said when he went to check it after a short while the paint coat just fell off the frame. He thinks it is because normally the paint is etched into the aluminium to make it tough but this wasn't.

Great cost too. cheapper than buying paint remover, PVC gloves, wire brushes, etc. Can't wat to give this a good clean up and transfer the parts from my old smashed up On-One frame.

lrm_20170704_165622.jpg

lrm_20170704_165630.jpg

lrm_20170704_165729.jpg

lrm_20170704_165640.jpg
  • Uber_Pod
    I wasn't being remotely serious about not painting it, hence the smiley!

Mind you, people have spent lots of money to save 250g in other areas.

If you do paint it, weighing it before and after would give people some accurate information rather than just internet rumours.
  • Uber_Pod wrote:
    I wasn't being remotely serious about not painting it, hence the smiley! Mind you, people have spent lots of money to save 250g in other areas. If you do paint it, weighing it before and after would give people some accurate information rather than just internet rumours.

It's too late Uber_Pod, I'm quite attracted to the whole idea now. Have seen some cracking raw aluminum frames here: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=128209&pagenum=30

Besided I couldn't figure out what colour to paint it anyway. I would have probably painted it matt aluminium like my old bike.
  • Need a new zerostack headset because of the crazy bell shaped headset tube on the frame. But after a rummage around I found a few parts that I could use for this build, mainly urban bike bits. Might just use em. Have to see how the dirt tyres hold up on the trails of the worcester lickey hills. Quite liking the raw aluminium look. Just needs decals, ect.

lrm_20170706_205138.jpg

lrm_20170706_205220.jpg
  • GedFoss
    GedFoss Posts: 18
    That's one sweet-looking balance bike :wink:
  • GedFoss wrote:
    That's one sweet-looking balance bike :wink:

LOL... for mid aged men who never had one as a child. :lol:

Waiting for hollowetch tools to remove and reuse use an external BB I have on an old bike, oh hum. Same for zerostack FSA headset. I hate the wait but it'll be funtime again early next week.
  • bobbydigital
    bobbydigital Posts: 254
    Been at my Kinesis xc frame for about 10 hours total, it has some white primer on there, it laughs off paint stripper, industrial stuff, very slow process without the right chemicals.
  • Been at my Kinesis xc frame for about 10 hours total, it has some white primer on there, it laughs off paint stripper, industrial stuff, very slow process without the right chemicals.

My guy at Zed Parts in Bromsgrove thought that mine might be the same. He mentioned that some of the bikes have etched paint and are a real bugger to shift.
  • Anyway... Quick update. I scratch finished the alu frame with wire wool and 2K clear coated it with some starter decals still have to put a few more layers of clearcoat on it to seal the decals properly but it's slowly coming along. Therre were a few deep scratches/dents so to save the structural integrety of the tube I just decided to leave them in and call them war wounds. Got most of my parts, just waiting for a No. 10 FSA headset and more 2K clear coat. Pics below.

frame-5.jpg

frame-4.jpg

frame-1.jpg

frame-2.jpg
  • bobbydigital
    bobbydigital Posts: 254
    Looks clean, are the lines in the metal normal or did you do them with wirewool or something? Like underneath they go short way across the beam.

Going to get a little wirewheel on a drill for me and have all scratch marks in different directions, not sure how it will look under clear coat but hoping it was catch the light well.
  • Looks clean, are the lines in the metal normal or did you do them with wirewool or something? Like underneath they go short way across the beam.

Going to get a little wirewheel on a drill for me and have all scratch marks in different directions, not sure how it will look under clear coat but hoping it was catch the light well.

Aye, I did the best I could with wire wool by hand on this because it is aluminium. I wanted to use a drill but zed-parts (parts renovators) told me to avoid it as aluminium metal is too soft. Can imagine it working okay on steel or stainless though. He said it might look awesome if I scratch is by rubbing it with wire wool in small circles but I obsesively went for lines. It's not great. I think a pro could have sctatched it better but I'm okay with it. main thing was to get it cleaned up, dodn't have the time for a proper polish.

Please feel welcome to post it on here when you have done it, love to see how it turns out.
  • Uber_Pod
    It looks great and certainly different to most bikes. I like the 'shut up legs' too. :)

I wouldn't know how to go about it, but smoothing the welds would be pretty cool.