From a 2012 Madone 5.9 to an S Works Tarmac??!

Jjcodex75
Jjcodex75 Posts: 4
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi guys

First post here so please be gentle and forgiving!

A little background - My main summer bike is my trusty Trek Madone 5.9 on a 2012 year, which was one of the first lower order Treks to gain Di2. I have upgraded components over the years and the bike has been incredibly good for me. This is back before the Madone became the aero choice for Trek and was an all rounder.

I am toying with building up a new bike based on the Specialized Tarmac S-Works 2017 frame. In part this is because my first bike was an Allez comp (2010) and I always looked at the Tarmac's with keenness.

Even so, before I take the plunge, I am keen to get some insight from you guys as to the road comfort of this bike. Please don't get me wrong - I fully appreciate that this is not a Roubaix, but I have never been a fan of the various "de-couplers" and suspension bits used on these bikes. I am also not a huge fan of the look of the new Domane (in particular the de-coupler thing on the seat post which looks horrible).

To that end, I have always felt incredibly comfortable on my Madone which so far as I am aware has no such additional devices.

My logic is thin, and yes - I am acutely aware that I am toying with a race frame and not a tourer.

Info about me - I cycle around 100miles odd a week through the main season average, and drop back a little in the winter. I enjoy sportive riding, and will participate in all distances up to 100 miles on occasion. I live in Devon where hills are the order of the day whether I like it or not!

I am 40something, 6ft 4 tall and frankly heavy, so the phrase "over-biked" will certainly apply to this conversation.

The questions in summary:

1. Is the Tarmac frame going to be noticeably less comfortable than my old Trek?
2. Are there any other considerations I should take into account?

Thanks for reading, and any input is most welcome.

Regards

James

Comments

• Can't compare to a madone as never ridden one but yes the tarmac is a comfortable bike to ride IME. It is a very stiff frame but not harsh, on bad road surfaces you still get feedback but no real buzz. Wheel choice and tire pressure will also have an effect but I have ridden various wheels and tire combos and none of them have resulted in a harsh ride.

I have had a fair few bikes over the years and the tarmac (2015 model) is my favourite, just a very good all round bike.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    My 2017 s-works feels pretty comfortable to me. Feels very similar to my oltre which was very comfortable for a race bike. I don't think you'll have any issues going from your madone to the s-works.
    I agree with the above post that wheels and tyres will make the biggest difference to comfort.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    My 2017 S works Tarmac is on par with my 2015 Emonda.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Jjcodex75
    Jjcodex75 Posts: 4
    Thanks guys - that is incredibly helpful. Interestingly the Emonda was identified by the bike shop as the modern equivalent to my Madone (albeit lighter!)
  • Wanted to update to say I went for it (2017 s works tarmac)

Frameset bought but still getting rest of the bits to make a bike!

I will show a piccy when built!

Thanks to all For the help!