Chain fell of Derailleur ...

puresav
puresav Posts: 4
edited July 2017 in Workshop
chain was skipping a bit.
I thought indexing was off, then I geared down and then the chain fell of my rear derailleur in a way I have never thought possible.
pictures in the next links

open?id=1x10kT5HD8AakopkvJQQMeMEmLiMYMR_l8Q

open?id=1pFBupIuP06Icw6rda-5PczIMoGhYj47p-A

I managed to put the chain back in using the tire lever and expanding the derailleur.
it felt like i was violating the rear mech...

needless to say, the chain still skips,
So is my rear derailleur dead?
any thoughts? tips?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm not seeing any pictures.

Unfortunately without them your explanation makes little sense.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I can't see the pictures.

How old are the chain/cassette? Have you checked the length of the chain for wear?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • cooldad
    Bit of a PITA but if you 'quote' and follow the links, you can see the pics. The chain came off the lower jockey wheel and caught between that and the cage. Possible low chain tension (small/small type ratio), and a bump in the road.

Or worn bearings/loose jockey wheel.

Why it needed a tyre lever to fix I'm not sure.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • k-dog
    Is the derailleur/hanger bent?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    puresav wrote:
    Rov9vJAud8vEaCM4NyH11iUAiEGE0oHdRfqGaAC1bEqhH-sVZsYw0UIcq-SIlxavVbuvNP0pL4id2QKe10RxwQ=w1920-h950-rw

PwISGX7IzW6u6m0xETpAhR4rOtpwERsC1rxx6fkXMPGjWk4RVzICcsKxt1PVJMkWQ5Oj7jcX3rdr66up67VDwg=w1920-h950-rw

WTH is the gear cable doing? It exits the cable stop then bends through 90 degrees.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Palladium
    Palladium Posts: 81
    edited July 2017
    I can't see any pictures either, but I can snoop through source code, and paste them in :D

oJMMfab.jpg
    fxsAcab.jpg

EDIT: well that was a fail and half, I hope it works this time
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Palladium wrote:
    I can't see any pictures either, but I can snoop through source code, and paste them in :D

mJrGZ6RilqgGVys71dJLsMl3mY-pXpcZxtCcJpJHbD94zgWViw2Hz9-T0PTrWIXz-0mPMDbeaXYm_0vSbUnB_A=w2560-h1256-rw
    VdTzBGwBWV5tx_YDVWqwtIS-rUKD48sGt0I_sS25c_W5cZxIyaVtFrbvaS30X8rQCM7dNPiaIV1hEEdxV408rw=w2560-h1256-rw

Can you? Go on then ;-)
  • cooldad
    Palladium wrote:

mJrGZ6RilqgGVys71dJLsMl3mY-pXpcZxtCcJpJHbD94zgWViw2Hz9-T0PTrWIXz-0mPMDbeaXYm_0vSbUnB_A=w2560-h1256-rw
    VdTzBGwBWV5tx_YDVWqwtIS-rUKD48sGt0I_sS25c_W5cZxIyaVtFrbvaS30X8rQCM7dNPiaIV1hEEdxV408rw=w2560-h1256-rw

And....

Fail.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    as above, that cable path just looks wrong, couple wider shots showing the rd side on and from the rear might help (with the chain on and wheel mounted

i think the images aren't working as the service is generating url per user, i.e. whoever pasted them can see, but no one else can
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • k-dog
    sungod wrote:
    as above, that cable path just looks wrong, couple wider shots showing the rd side on and from the rear might help (with the chain on and wheel mounted

images...

PaY8oBhQcNaaXPMZIfbXcelWil57y-bpKnTwAEFiHhmjndFl--HX95OZbvYWzP6KI9NFhtpLMw5QSQDiUBlGJg=w1351-h956-rw

bqzIR3rsVa6WYJpJHCfZ-Jdpm8mDTbLWjMHmapAbrOTSr-xkzJ8qRRgJy5wyHBQrqb5PG78uu5puEv9Jxe4Unw=w1351-h956-rw

That's getting worse - now you can't even just look at the link in the code.
  • sungod
    yeah, i tested and then edited to remove them, it's google generating per-session links, presumbably to avoid people using it to share this way

op, use postimage.org instead, no need for a login, just upload
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Here are the original images

PqHqFkSRDJWjwW_iYmn2hNEXGa6kPO0cWxlXha8XdhXqjJOeYcim2jDj5CrfgMB3yPR4DKyQHgMABoI=w1680-h888-rw

ekwrGscnsKwCdIQDe99IazgDrY3BKyEKvMsjJd9NZxZEfBEKz0Df622O8R09AH8_miQFyK1t7MTfkxM=w1680-h888-rw

Agree it would be better to have some wider angle shots from side and rear - how about it OP
  • cooldad
    arlowood wrote:

PqHqFkSRDJWjwW_iYmn2hNEXGa6kPO0cWxlXha8XdhXqjJOeYcim2jDj5CrfgMB3yPR4DKyQHgMABoI=w1680-h888-rw

ekwrGscnsKwCdIQDe99IazgDrY3BKyEKvMsjJd9NZxZEfBEKz0Df622O8R09AH8_miQFyK1t7MTfkxM=w1680-h888-rw

Agree it would be better to have some wider angle shots from side and rear - how about it OP

And, another fail.

You can't hotlink from Google images.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But it's amusing until the OP returns...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Only time I've seen that happen is with FUBAR lower jockey wheel bearing/bush, it can be very expensive!

As above - WTF with that cable line from the stop to wherever it goes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sungod
    click to embiggen

IMG_20170704_102530.png

IMG_20170704_102540.png
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    cooldad wrote:
    arlowood wrote:

And, another fail.

You can't hotlink from Google images.

Thought it was all about not being able to embed the OP's original images into the post. I just right clicked the little "Image" rectangle in his original post and selected "Open image in new tab". Once the image was there in a new tab I right clicked it and selected "Copy image address". I then pasted this address between the [img][/img]brackets in the reply box.  Can't quite understand why you've classed this as a fail??
  • sungod
    because it doesn't work - you can see the images ok, but no one else can

fwiw i did the same as you describe, i can even see the images in my post that was quoted by k-dog, no one else can though!

if you've got chrome, open an incognito window and view your post
  • cooldad
    Because we can't see the pics...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    could the jockey wheels be worn. look for spikey teeth or no teeth.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cooldad
    Look at the pictures and see.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Palladium
    Palladium Posts: 81
    cooldad wrote:
    And....

Fail.
    k-dog wrote:

That's getting worse - now you can't even just look at the link in the code

Weird. Worked when i originally edited, now logged onto a different computer and it's all f*&ked up again.

Edited post, should work now :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    I can see pics. Gears might work better with back wheel in and bike up right way; it'll certainly ride better.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.