Eroica in Gaiole 2017

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,042
edited September 2017 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
Following the thread in Vintage Bikes

viewtopic.php?f=40119&t=13081292

I thought I would create a general thread for this even in October with some notes I made. Feel free to add any specialized knowledge, I'm far from an expert.

Here is my video from last year:

https://youtu.be/afTztbS7nUY

Medical Certificates

You can show your certificate when you turn up to collect your entry at Gaiole, no requirement to upload it. Basically anything will do, pretty much. It is box ticking for the event to make sure they are covered if you keel over.

Gear

If you are missing something: toe clips, clothes etc. Don't try and find it on line or on ebay. The market the day before has everything and often at better prices than you can find. For example I spent 6 months on craigslist etc looking for period cycling shoes (rats had eaten my own pair of Sidi shoes from the 70s) but I needn't have bothered as they had everything at the Eroica market.

Accommodation

Obviously the best place to stay is Gaiole itself but it fill up fast. There is a campsite on the soccer field in Gaiole. I found accommodation 15km away via AirBNB just before the event. However driving around this hilly area with its twisty roads is a bit of a PITA (it is like Devon, with sun).

The Event

Bike: anything vaguely old looking will do, the only rules seem to be downtube shifters and exposed brake cables. There is no bike check. I rode a late 70s racing bike which was probably near top of the range back in the day.

Tires: Course was ok on 25mm, no worries, the white trails are generally in good condition. 28mm might be nicer.

Feed stops: the first feed stop is quite a way then there is a big gap and a long, steep climb and descent to the second stop which you should reach around midday. Be careful to have enough food/energy to cover this gap. After that stops are around every 20km with a long leg to the finish up a steep, off road climb.

Lights: The cut off for the final leg is around 17h30 and it gets dark at 19h00. Night falls very quickly and we finished at 19h30 in pitch black, you'll need lights for the final descent which is off road.
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• john_wr
    john_wr Posts: 50
    In 2015 I rode the 75km route which has its own loop from Radda to Panzano and back to Radda via Volpaia. To Panzano it is all smooth tarmac, if a little lumpy near Panzano and there is a very steep descent out of Radda. Out of Panzano it is very lumpy white road all the way to Volpaia. In many places going uphill it is not a good surface, even by white road standards. The joy of this loop though is the reception from the locals and businesses in Panzano, but I'm not sure wine and salami (from the self styled best butcher in Italy - he is good) are the best preparation for the route to come. There is an official feed station later in the section where the ribollita is served. Volpaia, or the cafe/restaurant there, is another delight. I did have a comment made to me that an organiser thought this route to be as much of a challenge as the 135km route. Having ridden both routes I didn't feel short changed on a challenge by opting for the shorter route.

Whatever route anyone rides, enjoy the best club run day out there is.

John.

Ps my apologies to anyone on that ride who was deafened by the sound of my squealing brakes.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Big day this Sunday for anyone who is going.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme