XT shifter for rear cassette - broken??

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I run a 2 x 10 on my HT.
On Sunday I went for a 37 mile ride and all shifting was smooth with no issues, skipping or missed shifts happening.
Yesterday I went for a ride and when I changed down (from the 36t ring to 11T ring) the shifter just didn't want to move the rear mech & subsequent chain down the cassette.

I have XT rapid fire shifters that are integrated with my XT brakes. They are from 2014.
When I have the chain on the big chainring at the front then the chain will move over a wider range of rings on the rear cassette. When I use e granny ring then the chain will only want to shift into the three largest rings on the rear cassette(eg the 36t ring and the two closet ones on the rear cassette).

The shifter isn't jammed as it does shift (depending on chainring at front), along with it seeming to register a shift when I use actually shift up/down (not that it does shift).
Sorry for the rambling post. Hopefully it makes sense.

Is it a new shifter for me or would it be gummed up inside the shifter? I don't mistreat my Bike and haven't whacked or hit the rear mech.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    36 to 11 is UP gears not down.

Do you have a rapid rise rear mech where it sits on the biggest sprocket with no cable tension, that's usually the case for integrated (STi) shifters unless you mean they are separates mounted together I-spec style?

Do you do the upshifts by pushing the brake lever down?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mikeyj28
    The Rookie wrote:
    36 to 11 is UP gears not down.

Do you have a rapid rise rear mech where it sits on the biggest sprocket with no cable tension, that's usually the case for integrated (STi) shifters unless you mean they are separates mounted together I-spec style?

Do you do the upshifts by pushing the brake lever down?

Sorry - i was meaning shifting down the cassette I.e. Larger ring to smaller ring.
    I have no idea - I have an XT rear mech with a clutch mechanism.

No, when I shift up I just press the top most lever (of the two levers on my shifter). I have a smaller lever above the larger lever that will up shift. To downshift I will press the larger thumb lever and to brake I will pull the brake lever.
    See pic for example of what I mean.

https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6436300/p4pb6436300.jpg

When I up shift it does seem to register and does actually work (with some luck) when in the granny ring.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Larger to smaller is UP the cassette, as in UP the gears, one convention, standard across everything so as not to confuse.

If you have a clutch its not rapid rise and two levers mean its NOT integrated, just I-spec mounting which is not the same thing at all.

Two likely causes are either a sticky cable preventing the spring on the mech moving it up a gear, but if it shifts better on the inner ring it may just be the indexing is a fraction out and you need to tweak the cable tension.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mikeyj28
    The Rookie wrote:
    Larger to smaller is UP the cassette, as in UP the gears, one convention, standard across everything so as not to confuse.

If you have a clutch its not rapid rise and two levers mean its NOT integrated, just I-spec mounting which is not the same thing at all.

Two likely causes are either a sticky cable preventing the spring on the mech moving it up a gear, but if it shifts better on the inner ring it may just be the indexing is a fraction out and you need to tweak the cable tension.

Thanks Rookie