Widest tyre on Giant Defy 2 (2013 model)

LateJunction
LateJunction Posts: 18
edited July 2017 in Workshop
What is the widest tyre I can use on my Giant Defy 2?

I ask because at my age (more than 75 years on 2 wheels) my bike control skills are limited and my reaction time is long - so I want a tyre that is going to grip more than what I have now (700C x 25, upgraded from 700c x 23). I asked my LBS to fit at least 700C x 28 but they said it couldn't be done. There seems to be a lot of clearance around the brake mechanisms and even more between the front fork legs. What opinions are there?

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I have the same bike. It's now turbo/wet bike and it's got 4 season in 28mm. Being running them for 3 years and I do like the extra comfort.
  • Dowtcha wrote:
    I have the same bike. It's now turbo/wet bike and it's got 4 season in 28mm. Being running them for 3 years and I do like the extra comfort.

Thanks for this conformation. What brand did you choose to get your '4 seasons' capability ?
  • Dowtcha is probably referring to the Continental 4 Seasons tyres, a popular model.
  • Dowtcha is probably referring to the Continental 4 Seasons tyres, a popular model.

Ah! Yes, rather obvious to me now. Thanks.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Depends on a number of factors, if your bike is standard spec., the maxium recommendation is 25c with the Giant narrow rims and tektro brakes.

You can fit a 28c on the rear, there is sufficient clearance in the rear triangle, you do need to check the clearance to the underside of the brake caliper though. One of the factors that will affect this is the make of tyre and how it sizes up on the narrow, 622x14mm Giant rim. I think you may have problems fitting a 28c safely to the front as not only does the clearance to the underside of the brake caliper have to be taken into account, but also the clearance to the underside of the fork crown.

If you want more comfort, consider purchasing a wheelset of 622x17mm you would be able to benefit from lower tyre pressures, though I still think you will struggle to fit a 28c to the front fork, even if you swopped your brake calipers out to Shimano 5800 105's, which are designed for 28c tyres.

On my 2013 Defy 0 I use 622x17mm rims with 26c front and 28c rear Panaracer Gravelking tyres and Ultegra 6700 calipers.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Should of said I am running mavic asksuim wheels which have a rim width of 15mm. I also swapped out the brakes for Ultegra 6700 calipers but can't remember if I ever ran the 4 seasons with the old brakes.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    Depends on a number of factors, if your bike is standard spec., the maximum recommendation is 25c with the Giant narrow rims and tektro brakes.

...which would explain why my local LBS - a Giant dealer - fitted 25c when I asked for 28c. And I do have the standard fitment 622x14 rims and Tektro brakes.

So, thanks for this advice: in my ignorance I would have said there is plenty of clearance to both brake mechanism and (front) fork, would have spent £65 on a pair of tyres and quite possibly found they wouldn't fit!.

At my age and level of bike use I can't really justify replacement of rims, and brake calipers, just to get a more secure and comfortable ride; at least not until the Continental Sport Plus tyres have worn out in about 10 years time at my rate of use.