Tubeless flat

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Whilst doing the South Downs Way at the weekend, my (DIY) tubeless setup went completely flat following one of the descents. No obvious damage to the tire, and the trail repair was an inner tube which held fine. So was wondering what the collective wisdom on a cause was, can a tubeless tyre just blow out - maybe a big impact unseating it somehow? There were no massive jumps but given it was me who did the setup (maxxis tubeless tyres on a fulcrum rim with loads of tape / sealant) I wondered if I had messed it up? Back at base, I re-did the sealant and the pressure is holding further suggesting nothing significant has pierced the tyre.

Any thoughts welcome, it may have just been a one-off, just curious to know if anyone else had experienced something similar?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It could have punctured and then then the sealant done its thing with the tube in, or maybe you hit something and it burped enough out for the bead to become unstable and leak....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The tyre could have burped off the rim and then obviously goes flat. Are you using the tougher exo sidewall maxxis tyres?

this is my worry on running tubeless but my maxxis tyres were hard to put on the mavic rims I use and so touch wood been fine for about 3 weeks now.

try adding another layer of rim tape, this should make the tyre tighter on the rim.
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    Hi, sounds like it was a burp then, only one go round with clear gorilla tape (although I did put down some electrical insulation tape down first to aid future removal). The tyres are Maxxis Ardent EXO TR 650B and I must admit go on the Fulcrum rims pretty damn easily. Hoping the left over dry sealant on the burped tyre plus all new sealant should keep me right for a while. Next time it comes off, I might well add more tape just wanted to check it wasn't user error in the tubeless set up really as had no idea how susceptible (or not) tubeless was to blowing off the rim on impact.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they go on 'too easily' then burping is more likely as the tyre gets distorted by a bump or turn (or both)....I'd add more tape to stiffen it up personally.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.