Gears not staying indexed

tom2806
tom2806 Posts: 7
edited July 2017 in Workshop
Hi

Just before I give up and take it the local bike shop.

Every time I have my gears indexed after about 25 miles they decide they don't want to work. Normally around the middle of the cassette it decides it wants to jump two when going down the cassette. I'm not sure if the hanger is bent, I do t think it is so looking for other options.

Anyone had a similar issue?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Have you checked the chain for wear/bent links? Is the cassette ok? Take the wheel off, cassette lock ring tight and cassette seated correctly? Disconnect the rear D, does it move freely by hand? Are the cables moving smoothly when disconnected? Lube, reassemble and index.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Have you checked the chain for wear/bent links? Is the cassette ok? Take the wheel off, cassette lock ring tight and cassette seated correctly? Disconnect the rear D, does it move freely by hand? Are the cables moving smoothly when disconnected? Lube, reassemble and index.

All this ^^^

I had similar - turned out to be a frayed cable at the shifter end, right at the nipple - made the cable drag.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    Having done all of the above check the hanger. Hanger alignment tool is cheap and you can't tell by eye if it is only a little bit out. The only thing is it would be a problem to get indexing right from the beginning, not after 25 miles.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    SME wrote:
    I had similar - turned out to be a frayed cable at the shifter end, right at the nipple - made the cable drag.

Ha, this morning I have just changed a cable for that exact reason. Felt a spike through the shifter hood, and it was a frayed cable.
  • tom2806
    tom2806 Posts: 7
    Hi

Thanks for these. I'll check but hoping the cables are ok as only got the bike at beginning of June.

Again hoping the cassette was put on correctly at the time of being built by the shop.

Thanks