The Gap - Brecon Beacons

steveqpr
steveqpr Posts: 27
edited July 2017 in Routes
Just a quick post to add to this forum’s plethora of knowledge about ‘The Gap’ in the Brecons - of which I used prior to my foray this weekend.

I started off from Brecon (free parking over the river just outside the village) using the GPX located at MBWales.

The first eight miles or so was relaxed and if I hadn’t done my homework would’ve lulled me into a false sense of security prior to the road ascending at Talybont on Usk. The climb towards Talybont Reservoir wasn't necessarily a rude awakening after the aforementioned chilled 8 miles however it was certainly a little impolite! The ascent as you skirt around the reservoir however was a real pleasure, nice road surface and a consistent gradient. Indeed, the climbs throughout weren’t excruciating however the rutted/rocky/stone strewn surface towards The Gap certainly made them more challenging. I’m one of those rare breeds of MTB’ers that prefer the uphill than the down and the down once passed Cribyn and Fan y Big was certainly challenging to say the least. Beware of rocks, drainage ditches across the path and loose stones – the combination of which proved to be too much for both myself and my partner in crime as we both took tumbles on the way down; thankfully nothing serious with only minor cuts and bruises to show for our lack of control.

The weather was fantastic, the route was superb and I’d recommend trying this gem of a ride - I'm more than willing to attempt to address any questions that prospective Gap first timers might have :)