Problem from 1 to 2. Please please help

millerblade
millerblade Posts: 26
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

Sorry I dont know if this is in the right section of the forum.

I just got a mtb for the 1st time as an adult. On the left hand side of the handle bars where you can change for 1 to 2 to 3. When I change from 1 to 2 it doesnt alwaya do it. The dial moves to 2 but the bike makes an awful noise and no matter how much i pedel it still makes that noise. If I then go into 3 it then after a good few seconds it eventually corrects itself and stops making then noise and changes correctly.

On the right hand side of the bike, the numbers all go up and down no problem.

Is it something im doing wrong?

It was my first time out on it today.

Its a carrera vegeance.

Thank you
Danielle

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mech needs indexing properly.

Read the Parktools link below and it will tell you haw to do anything you'll need.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Try putting it in a smaller gear at the back when going from 1 to 2 on the front. Also make sure you are pressing the lever properly, you might not be fully engaging the 2nd ring. As above might need adjusting.

If in doubt take it back, the shop should have given you a full run through everything when you bought it???
  • JGTR wrote:
    Try putting it in a smaller gear at the back when going from 1 to 2 on the front. Also make sure you are pressing the lever properly, you might not be fully engaging the 2nd ring. As above might need adjusting.

If in doubt take it back, the shop should have given you a full run through everything when you bought it???

Hi.

Just tried it so that on right hand side of handle bars the number was on 1. Then i changed the right hand side number from 1 to 2 and made sure I pressed properly and same thing happened.

I bought it 2nd hand so cant take it back to a shop. It is in immaculate condition though and the buyer seemed genuine.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Mech needs indexing properly.

Read the Parktools link below and it will tell you haw to do anything you'll need.

Im not technically able to do anythinf difficult. I just thought i would be able to buy a bike and ride like the old days :(
  • cooldad
    I've been riding bikes for around 50 years, and even in the 'old days' bikes needed adjusting etc.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    The front derailleur might need tuning a bit, but equally If it's a second hand bike, the cables might have too much friction inside the plastic casings, from general mud, grime etc.

But the bike looks in pretty new condition looking at the photos on your other post, so I'd hazard that it's the front derailleur that needs a little adjustment.

Most local bike shops will do a full gear index (adjustment) for about £20 to £30 assuming it's just adjustment that's needed.

I have a carrera vengeance and the x4 shifters are reasonably good, but on the front rings sometimes need a little bit of force to make them shift. The derailleur (mech) at the other end of the cable needs to be set up correctly.

If the rear derailleur works OK, then it's probably just your front derailleur that needs some adjustment.
  • Hi everyone.

I went to my local bike shop today. Ive never been in before. Its a proper bike shop, with all expensive things in it. Nothing like Halfords. I felt a bit intimidated. However the man was soooo nice and took my bike in the back ans fixed it within less than 5 minutes. He said it was just a tension issue!! Very minor he said. He didnt even charge me. I will now go there if I need to buy anything If I can afford it in the future. Thank you to everyone for your advice x
  • cooldad
    Good result, but try do bits for yourself now. It's easy if you take it slowly and carefully.

And when sh1t happens on the trail it's better to be able to sort it out than have a long push home.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools