Need advice to get a little more Granny in my gearing.

pickle57
pickle57 Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in Workshop
I currently ride Specialized Roubaix with a 10sp Campy Groupset. But it's a combination of parts bought individually.

Current Configuration:
Campy Record Rear Derailleur (short cage)
Campy Record 10sp 12-25 Cassette
Campy Record Crankset - Mid size (52/36)
Campy Record Front Derailleur (possibly it's for a triple crank which I DO NOT HAVE)

I'd like to add a little more low gear to my cassette. Previously, I'd tried a "Campy Compatible" 11-29 Cassette. It shifted like garbage so I went back to my Campy 12-25 and have generally been very happy since.

However, there are a few hills with steeper grades that I'm really wishing i had some extra gear to work with. At one point, I'd read that 25t was the largest cog suitable for the short cage derailleur.

This whole thing made me start thinking about moving to an 11sp configuration.

What needs to be changed? and just as importantly, what doesn't?

I seem to think that 11sp rear derailleur w/ something like 12-29 or even larger would be nice. So that's rear derailleur and cassette. How about the front? Should that be changed too?

About the only think I don't want to swap out is the Campy mid-size crankset.

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You'd get away without changing the front - you'll need shifters too though which are expensive.

The easiest way would be to change to a compact chainset and that combined with something like a 12-27 would make a big difference.

Technically with a short derailleur you could only use exactly what you have (and a compact doesn't change that as the difference between the rings is the same) but you can often get away with a couple teeth more than the guidance - so 12-27 would probably work.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • k-dog
    Or, cheaper still change to the medium derailleur sticking with 10 speed and you could go to a 32 biggest cog - but that's with slightly bigger jumps at that end of the cassette.

11 speed is slightly better - but only one extra obviously so there still have to be jumps.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have used a 12/30 centaur cassette with a centaur short cage rear mech without a problem. If you keep out of small chainring/small sprockets you do not have to worry about having a dangly chain.
    I am always keen to listen to those with superior knowledge but I thought that 30T was the biggest 10 speed campag sprocket .
  • k-dog
    30 is the biggest Campag one - but you can get Campag spaced cassettes from other brands with a 32.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    I've used the Campagnolo 13-29 10-speed cassette with short cage Campagnolo Centaur derailleur and 14t chainring difference on the front, and that worked fine.

Campagnolo now make an 11-32 cassette for use with with their Potenza group: https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/CampyWorld/Product/campagnolo_presents_potenza_11_groupset
  • k-dog
    - he's got a 16 difference at the frint though which probably takes it too far over the recommended difference.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I use the Campag 10 speed 12-30 with the short cage RD, for trips to the Alps, works well but don't cross chain to the extremes.
  • k-dog
    ^what chainset do you use with that?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    change the 36 for a 34 chainring
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • k-dog
    52/34 is too big a gap for decent front shifting and it makes the chain wrap issue worse.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    miche cassette shift as well as campagnolo cassettes. I use them and I can't tell the difference on the road. they do a 32T sprocket now but a 29t is as big as you can use on a short cage mech.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    for 10 speed campag I have recently put an 11 speed 32T to replace the 29T cog and it shifts fine because the low limit stop prevents an over shift. currently I have 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27-32T I use a record 10 speed medium cage RD and a 52/39T rings.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • k-dog
    ^ that's part of my point. That just works on a short mech - but probably only because you have a regular chainset. 50/34 adds another tooth difference and 52/34 is even worse.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    k-dog wrote:
    ^what chainset do you use with that?

On both a 50/34 and a 52/36.
  • gippo77
    gippo77 Posts: 2
    :!:

On a similar note, can I change my Ultegra 53/39 to a 53/36?
    I know there are 52/36 sets available, though I can get a 36 chainring at a good deal.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    With a 5 arm chainset: no
    With a 4 arm chainset; yes.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    I recently put a Miche 12/29 cassette on my Chorus groupset for a trip to Italy. Sure, it changes fine but it clicks every turn of the pedals in 2 or 3 sprockets. Tried everything and trusted lbs reckons that there is just not the same quality control on Miche. Any thoughts.
  • gippo77
    gippo77 Posts: 2
    Thanks Keezx, it is a 4 arm Ultegra Chainset. So I can change the 39 ring to a 36..?
    Why does it work and not the 5 arm model?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    A 5 arm chainset with 53/39 chainrings has very likely a 130 mm BCD, and the smallest chainring which fits 130 is 39.
    You know now why the compact is invented.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    That's not entirely true. 130 BCD chainsets can usually take 38t chainrings.

Also, 53-36 is one tooth beyond the maximum recommended 16 tooth maximum gap between front rings, which may compromise shifting - you might be better finding a 37 tooth inner ring.

Will probably work though.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    k-dog wrote:

11 speed is slightly better - but only one extra obviously so there still have to be jumps.

But unfortunately that extra cog is likely to be an 11 tooth, that won't see much action with a 52T chainring.

Edit - just realised you're talking campag, which I see does a 12-29 11 speed chorus.