cycling specific backpacks?

First.Aspect
First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
edited July 2017 in Commuting chat
I normally cycle with a courier bag, but since I've had to start carrying a laptop I'm getting lower back pain. I can't stand panniers. They are the devil's work.

I have avoided backpacks in the past because I've found the straps too tight either side of my neck. Always feels like the straps join the bag too close together.

Any suggestions for better cycle specific backpacks, particularly around the shoulder/neck area?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why no love for panniers ?
  • First.Aspect
    cougie wrote:
    Why no love for panniers ?
    They cock up the handling. And I'm irrational. Please don't anyone else suggest panniers, I'm 100% not interested and there is 0% chance of persuading me otherwise. You are at liberty to use the dreadful eyesores yourself, but they are not for me and proposing them in answer to my question is like asking a coffee drinker how they like their tea.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm with you on panniers. They're for postmen and grannies.

I really rate the Rapha ones (and I hate backpacks too) but they are stupidly expensive. The internals are nicely laid out for a laptop and the reflective material works really well. The only bit I don't need is the "belt" bit so I cut that off.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Alternatively, rack and top bag for centralised weight? Can be rear or "pizza rack" front - I used a topeak beam rack on the seat post. Or is your thinking that by carrying it on your person, you've got the capability of dynamic adjustment of CoG?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    No idea on the quality, but there was an Altura backpack in the PX daily deals section for 20 squids.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    How many ways are there to say, "no"?

You all smell.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I smell lush.

Looking forward to taking some non rack scalps on the commute next week.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • First.Aspect
    I smell lush.

Looking forward to taking some non rack scalps on the commute next week.
    They will all be short of breath from laughing so much.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mate it's your back but putting weight on it in a cycling position is not going to help you. You're not vertical so the weight is going right onto the back itself. Unless there's an anti gravity backpack invented - you'll make it worse.
  • First.Aspect
    cougie wrote:
    Mate it's your back but putting weight on it in a cycling position is not going to help you. You're not vertical so the weight is going right onto the back itself. Unless there's an anti gravity backpack invented - you'll make it worse.
    eh?
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Most of the cycle specific backpacks I've seen look small. Back in the days before i embraced the occult (rack and panniers) I used a 30 liter zipped pack I think I got it from Tescos for a tenner or something. It worked well, it had a chest clip strap. If you pick up a cheap pack check it has a chest clip joining the main shoulder straps, i find they really help the fit when riding. I see that backpacks sold as bike specific often seem to have an elevated price tag.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Been through this dilemma, went with a 30ltr Osprey, carry quite a bit, love it. It even takes one of those Eaglecreek m( size small)shirt/clothes carriers for shirt pants socks in the lap top compartment. Great for my commute which includes trains so a change of warm down clothes and jackets that stow in their own pockets (montane fireball for cold, Patagonia for warm/wet), pre prepped breakfasts and lunches, plus inner tubes, lights, levers, mini pump, train and building passes, wallet....and helmet attaches. I've got 3 degenerative discs, the ruck sack has fantastic straps ( chest and waist) and sits very comfortably., not had any issues in my 12 mile each way commute. I've even used it on a full 50 mile commute back from London to the sticks in Kent, not problem.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/deals/q/deal-BAALTGB

Altura Grid 20 I mentioned yesterday, £20 (~£40 everywhere else), gets decent reviews if you don't need to carry anything bulky.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    Thanks all. Its the width of the shoulder straps that is my main issue, I think. I don't need to carry much - the clothing changeover can be done by trusty courier bag.

Perhaps I suffer from gorilla-back cos of rowing. Anyhow, the Rapha and Mission Workshop ones look okay, but too "simple" (style over substance?). Either way, the Mission Workshops bags even manage to make Rapha look good value.

The Osprey bags are nice......
  • meanredspider
    Anyhow, the Rapha and Mission Workshop ones look okay, but too "simple" ....

Simple? My larger Rapha one has several external pockets (including a key pocket) and a number of internal pockets for pens, pump, etc and a padded separator and strap for a laptop. The smaller compartment can be folded in and has a zip to keep it tucked in. I don't use it for commuting these days but it's still my go-to bag for just carrying stuff around. It also came with a rain cover (and a pocket to store it in) which works well in monsoon conditions. But it is very expensive at full price. I bought the smaller one at the Outlet store sale and was only about £30. I was bought the larger one as a gift.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Altura Zone 25 litre for £25 at Tredz, free p+p. Plus the £5 off if you spend over £30 - ECWJ2R

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Zone-25 ... CsAXw_wcB#
  • First.Aspect
    Anyhow, the Rapha and Mission Workshop ones look okay, but too "simple" ....

Simple? My larger Rapha one has several external pockets (including a key pocket) and a number of internal pockets for pens, pump, etc and a padded separator and strap for a laptop. The smaller compartment can be folded in and has a zip to keep it tucked in. I don't use it for commuting these days but it's still my go-to bag for just carrying stuff around. It also came with a rain cover (and a pocket to store it in) which works well in monsoon conditions. But it is very expensive at full price. I bought the smaller one at the Outlet store sale and was only about £30. I was bought the larger one as a gift.
    It was more the strap system I was thinking about. Just two strips of webbing? If so, if they aren't in the right position for me it won't work. There's nowhere nearby (Edinburgh) I can try one I don't think.
  • meanredspider
    It was more the strap system I was thinking about. Just two strips of webbing? If so, if they aren't in the right position for me it won't work. There's nowhere nearby (Edinburgh) I can try one I don't think.

Hmmm - mine have two padded straps with a chest strap and a waist strap.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Don't know if this helps, but I switched to messenger bag recently and actually prefer it to back pack. I tend to keep weight down though. Laptop and change of clothes at most (plus FA kit plus repair kit).
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    I've been using one of Lomo's packs for the past year. Totally waterproof and utterly bombproof.

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Dry-Boxe ... gs-uk.html

I've got the hi-viz / reflective version (if you're cycling, why wouldn't you?). But the only criticism I'd have is that, for some reason, it doesn't have the pockets that the non-hi-viz versions have. Therefore it can be a pain to store house keys, wallet and such like. But at the price, it's a no brainer really.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Salomon backpacks are very good. I've got the 12l Aspire as the most I ever carry to work are clothes and a few documents. If you wanted a commuter size pack one of the Trail series might be better. The straps are the nicest I've found.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I've been through a few different ones over the past 10 years.

The best I have had is the Deuter TransAlpine

http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=4567

It's comfortable, sits well, has back, chest and waist straps, loads of room, pockets, a waterproof cover etc etc
    Never had a noticable problem with head movement, even when in the drops and looking side to side.

I don't remember paying £100 quid for it however, which is what it seems to be selling for at the moment.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava