Cracked carbon seat stay

fattywilliams
fattywilliams Posts: 37
edited July 2017 in Workshop
i have a cracked carbon seat stay as seen below on my beloved rose CGF ive made a claim on insurance and am waiting to hear back from them on wether they will repair or replace the frame. my question is will a repair be okay will it chane the feel/stiffness of the frame and how ugly is it going to look on the matt black finish should i push for a new frame?

DSC00091.jpg[/URL]

Comments

• If I know Rose they will probably replace it. Their after service is quite good and they look after their customers. Hope you get it sorted either way
  • If I know Rose they will probably replace it. Their after service is quite good and they look after their customers. Hope you get it sorted either way

Yh not a manufacturer issue unfortunately it was my fault that's why I've gone through insurance rather than the warranty
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Plenty of people repair carbon. Rob Hayles for one. Re Carb I think ? Some before and after pics around too.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    A fair few carbon fibre repairers around that could do a good job on that. Where are you based?
  • Bondurant wrote:
    A fair few carbon fibre repairers around that could do a good job on that. Where are you based?

Bristol/Bath area mate do you think it would be able to be finished off okay being matt black or would i just have to live with a ugly repair
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Any good CF repair shop can return that to original appearance and Matte Black fortunately is one of the easier colours to do.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    May be worth contacting Rose and see what they will do a frame only for under the circumstances, it may be cheaper than a repair.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Repaired properly (Re-Carb, Target Composites, Fibre-Lyte to name a few), you wont notice the difference...