Very loud brakes!

Finnn
Finnn Posts: 2
edited July 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
My bike brakes are extremely noisy with loud squeaks. I have tried cleaning with brake cleaner and replacing pads, any suggestions? They are Shimano BR-M315 with 160mm rotors.

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Is it a new bike, they may just need bedding in a bit, find a long gentle down hill section get some speed up and brake really hard a number of times.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Can be glazed pads if you are in the habit of dragging them in which case sandpaper or filing (metal) the pads or chuck a handful of dust into the caliper and go do a very hard brake!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And don't use brake cleaner. Just rinse with water.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    Some brake cleaners leave residues that can make bike brakes squeal. They also attack the seals.
    Cooldad is correct, If you haven't ridden your bike for a bit and they squeal, just squirt them with water.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I avoid brake cleaner and use isopropyl alcohol to clean the discs works great you can see it evaporate away.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Is a thru axle bike? Try a bit of grease on the axles.
    My wife's carbon framed thru axle bike brakes squeal terribly and I tried everything. Changed pads, changed rotors, threadlocked all the disk & caliper bolts with no success, but in a moment of desperation / inspiration I put a smear of lithium grease on the axles and it seems to cure the squealing! :)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    moonshine wrote:
    My wife's carbon framed thru axle bike brakes squeal terribly and I tried everything. Changed pads, changed rotors, threadlocked all the disk & caliper bolts with no success, but in a moment of desperation / inspiration I put a smear of lithium grease on the axles and it seems to cure the squealing! :)

Hopefully just a little smear of grease as your wife may not have any brakes left if it got on them.

I may try this on my bike, rear brake has a slight squeak when its fully on but think the pads have got glazed tbh.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Finnn wrote:
    My bike brakes are extremely noisy with loud squeaks. I have tried cleaning with brake cleaner and replacing pads, any suggestions? They are Shimano BR-M315 with 160mm rotors.

clean rotors in washing up liquid then rinse and dry. Sand discs and re-rinse/dry before putting back on bike. give the pads a little sand too. If that doesn't work then get new pads.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    swod1 wrote:
    moonshine wrote:

Hopefully just a little smear of grease as your wife may not have any brakes left if it got on them.

I may try this on my bike, rear brake has a slight squeak when its fully on but think the pads have got glazed tbh.
    It is just a little smear and no chance it will get on the disc or pads ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Famous last.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.