Voodoo Bantu

cottonmouth
cottonmouth Posts: 10
edited July 2017 in MTB general
hi MTB fam

i bought a Voodoo Bantu, from halfords, had it built for me and delivered, not been out on it yet, just wanna get some thoughts on here and get some feedback

ok, so i got the 20" (im 6ft) without first testing out sizes in-store, it seems fine although i do feel a little higher than iv felt on any other bike, iv never been on any serious MTB before tho,so...

so, the seat is lowered all the way down, and when im sitting on seat iv gotta use tiptoes to touch floor, even tho the seat is all the way down, the seat post is still visible by a good 4-5 inches, i was wondering if its a big deal if i wanted to cut/saw 3-4 inches off the bottom of seat post in order to lower the seat even more if i wanted it lower at any time???

also when hands are on handles ,i feel the gears are in the way of knuckles , il probably get used to that tho

last thing , the front disk brake makes a slight rubbing noise at a certain point when wheel is going round, it doesnt slow the wheel at all (not sure how it sounds when riding out yet), when you look through the gap between disk and brake , i can see the point of contact, not sure if disk is slightly off/bent or its just not straight...

any help/advice
thank you

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I can't even reach the ground with tip toes on my main bike. The saddle should be about right if your heel is on the pedal with a straight leg, or a slight kink in the knee with your instep on the pedal.

Just move the levers until they are comfortable. You can move them inboard to get them out of the way a bit.

As for the brakes, ride a bit, let them bed in and see. If there's still some rubbing, loosen the caliper, pull the brakes to centre the caliper, then tighten it up again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    so, the seat is lowered all the way down, and when im sitting on seat iv gotta use tiptoes to touch floor, even tho the seat is all the way down, the seat post is still visible by a good 4-5 inches, i was wondering if its a big deal if i wanted to cut/saw 3-4 inches off the bottom of seat post in order to lower the seat even more if i wanted it lower at any time???
    As CD says, you don't ride with your feet on the ground, its a hang over from teaching kids to ride to think you should be able to put your feet on the ground, as CD says set the saddle height for heel on the pedal with your leg all but straight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.