no travel in RockShox Reba RL forks

leemissing
leemissing Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a set of RockShox Reba RL forks and I don't seem to have any travel past 20mm, the forks seem to work the same in lockout??? I have just had the forks serviced and they seem the same - does anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem? I don't know much about suspension forks and they came on a second hand bike... :cry:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd talk to whoever 'serviced' them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • would it matter if the pressures were wrong and they have sent them back the same as sent??
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Is the remote lockout cable sticky?
  • I have removed the cable and tried it by hand, both locked and unlocked seem the same :cry: I have read that the forks will need bedding in but I'm not even getting any sag when I sit on the bike, I weigh about 180lbs and I'm assuming around 110psi should be enough in the v+ and v- chambers. I'm going to get a shock pump later and check the pressure's.
  • Let all the air out, repressurise and see what travel you are getting then. That'll tell you if it's pressures or (more likely imo) been overfilled during servicing
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    As mentioned, let all the air out and see if they have full travel.

Rebas are very stiff, they take a lot to get moving, doesn't bother using sag. The only way I could get 25% sag on mine was to run them at stupidly low pressures which meant they then bottomed out all the time, but with higher pressures they were rock solid. I rebuilt my forks with low friction seals and fitted tokens so I can run lower pressures without it blowing through it's travel, it's better but they are reasonably stiff, just take a lot to get moving. I don't use sag anymore as I didn't find it worked. I ride the bike and adjust the pressure so I use full travel without bottoming out, think my sag is about 10%. I did a lot of reading and this appears to be a common issue.

I run 100 psi and I'm 14 to 14.5 stone. 2013 Rebas, 29"
  • Thanks for all the replies, I haven't been in cycling for around 12yrs and the help is appreciated. The guy I got the bike from must not have set them up correctly and they had 160psi in them! Hence why I couldn't move them....I've reduced to 90 and I can now move them so I'm going to have a little play with the pressures till I get what I need. I also found the rebound set to full 'hare' and I've set this to around middle again I'll have a play with it. Obviously the servicing dudes just set them back to what they were before service. Again thanks for the help dudes.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Cool, sounds like progress, different air forks are different but 160psi I think is very high by most people's standards, im quite a potatoe at 15 and a half stone and i run my epixons at about 130psi.