3t aeronova remove decals

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Hi I want to decal my 3t aeronova, tried hairdryer for short period seemed to have no effect, is it painted in, does not feel like it as I can feel bumps. I see nail varnish remover mentioned elsewhere, anyone can guide?

Comments

• buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I've never done it myself, are you talking about an alloy or carbon set of bars? A lot of people have done so successfully on the former so can only assume that's fairly easy; I'd be a lot more cautious on the latter.

Having said that, my strategy for things like this is to start with a very mild solvent such as WD40 (this worked on some Shimano decals that I wasn't actually hoping to remove!) and if this doesn't work then graduating up to stronger solvents such as isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), acetone (nail varnish remover) and if all else fails, xylene (carburettor cleaner).

One of them will work but you'll have to gauge yourself whether the underlying material is at risk.
  • jpower
    It's carbon hence the hestitation
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Most likely waterslide transfers under a clearcoat. So unless you want to completely f**k up the finish on your bars, I would just leave them alone.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    jpower wrote:

Eek, I have the ergonovas, and for what they cost I would personally leave well alone. I managed to get the stealth variant.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Daniel B wrote:
    jpower wrote:

Eek, I have the ergonovas, and for what they cost I would personally leave well alone. I managed to get the stealth variant.

Same here. Ltd Stealth Aeronova and I wouldn't want to jigger them up or even just ruin the finish.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    Imposter wrote:
    Most likely waterslide transfers under a clearcoat. So unless you want to completely f**k up the finish on your bars, I would just leave them alone.

^^^this

acetone or isopropyl alcohol won't hurt the cf/resin, but the clearcoat is another matter

some will resist, some may be removed, others may become cloudy or change colour

an alternative is to use fine abrasive to remove decals and then respray the area
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jpower
    Thank you, I think I will leave well alone. Sounds far too risky.