BB-CF86 Chainset Compatibility

tommyfelt
tommyfelt Posts: 90
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm currently riding a Trek Crockett 5 disc 2015 Bike Spec Here CX bike which has a BB-CF86 bottom bracket with a FSA Energy chainset and I'm looking to switch the chainset for a compact chainset.

Am I tied to buying the FSA BB-CF86 bottom bracket, if so would a Shimano 105 chainset be compatible?

Thanks,
Tom

Edit: I'll be changing the bottom bracket too.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure what you mean. According to the spec in that link, you already have a compact chainset.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If you mean a 34 tooth inner chain-ring the easiest option is to just swap one for the 36 you currently have.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • tommyfelt
    Imposter wrote:
    Not sure what you mean. According to the spec in that link, you already have a compact chainset.
    By compact I was meaning a 50-34, changing from the 46-36 that is in the link's spec.
  • tommyfelt
    Svetty wrote:
    If you mean a 34 tooth inner chain-ring the easiest option is to just swap one for the 36 you currently have.....
    I'd like a 50 outer too. I've just edited the original post, however the bottom bracket needs replacing anyhow so my question really is can I move away from a CF-86 bottom bracket and if not, what chainsets should I be looking at.
  • imposter2.0
    tommyfelt wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    By compact I was meaning a 50-34, changing from the 46-36 that is in the link's spec.

Plenty of 50t chainrings on ebay - just swap it.
  • imposter2.0
    tommyfelt wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    I'd like a 50 outer too. I've just edited the original post, however the bottom bracket needs replacing anyhow so my question really is can I move away from a CF-86 bottom bracket and if not, what chainsets should I be looking at.

There's no particular reason to move away from PF86. As a standard, it works pretty well.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You can't change standard as the BB you need is defined by the frame.

You can get different brands though - and if you want a Shimano chainset then the Shimano BBs are cheap and good - http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-t ... cups-86-5/

The BB has to match the axle diameter of the chainset - and they vary.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I'm going for the chainring option too. Job done for £40: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s210p0/P ... nrings-Spa
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW the FSA CF-86 BB is for a 24mm spindle crank and will also work with a Shimano HT2 cranks like 105
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..