Which Chain Pliers to buy?

BOSSNUT.DAVE
BOSSNUT.DAVE Posts: 102
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
To make life easier I really need a pair of chain pliers to release the power link, connecting link. Which set do you use and which to stay away from. Cheers Dave.

X-Tools
BBB
Park Tool

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd take the cheap ones. The other two can be used to close the link as well, but I've found pulling the chain works just as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    I've had the Park Tool set for ~9 months, work a treat, unable to compare to any other set of chain pliers as somehow I've never owned a pair before to do my own chain swaps!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Since someone pointed me towards the hammer / chain ring trick I've not had a problem with difficult to remove quick links etc. And a stone from the side of the road works just as well when out and about.

(The knack I was taught was getting the link onto the chainring, pointing upwards and then a gentle tap with a hammer on the top / just one half gets the links to slide past each other - works every time for me).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • I've got the cheapie jobsworth ones. They are fine, do exactly what you'd expect and nothing else.
  • BOSSNUT.DAVE
    BOSSNUT.DAVE Posts: 102
    Cheers. Might investigate that hammer technic