La Fausto Coppi 2017

dish_dash
dish_dash Posts: 5,558
So I've signed up for this and am going to head out to it a couple of days before hand.

Anyone doing it this year?

And any tips or suggestions from those that may have done it previously?

Am hoping to explore some of the other climbs in the two days before the event. Route recommendations very welcome? Will be in Cuneo but with a car (plus bike!)

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    dish_dash wrote:
    So I've signed up for this and am going to head out to it a couple of days before hand.

Anyone doing it this year?

And any tips or suggestions from those that may have done it previously?

Am hoping to explore some of the other climbs in the two days before the event. Route recommendations very welcome? Will be in Cuneo but with a car (plus bike!)

Colle dell'Agnello, colle delle Finestre (gravel) are the big boys
    left the forum March 2023
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Interested in hearing how the event is, considering it for 2018. Are there time limits/cut offs?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • dish_dash
    Ta, Ugo. Finestre looks a bit of a drive away.

I'll write a review once done. Looks like there is a cut off 3.30 at km143, start of the final climb. And you won't get a time if you finish in over 10 hours.

granfondo_post-1024x576.jpg
  • ugo.santalucia
    OK

then in the area you can do Colle Tenda which heads south into France and Col del Prel, a bit less known, but featured in the Giro 2000... I think Garzelli won the stage and sealed the GC

https://www.strava.com/segments/1461486
  • dish_dash
    Alright folks, back in the UK now and thought I'd give a little write up (ok I've just re-read it and maybe its quite a long write up).

Had a great time out in Cuneo - the town itself was quite posh (at least that was my impression) with the central boulevard full of fashion/designer shops. And everyone out promenading in the evening.

La Fausto Coppi starts in the central square and they had several events there in the couple of days before the ride. On the Friday there appeared to be a party where everyone wore white with a rather fun light show as it got dark. Saturday there was a pasta party and various bands and things going on, as well as the introduction of the nations ceremony from about 6pm. People from the 40+ countries were invited up on stage and presented with a tree (which was then planted in the hills) and a box of strawberries (by the season's Miss Strawberry). Agriculture was clearly a dominant theme with the goodie bag including cheese, pasta, and biscuits... a major sponsor was a local agricultural cooperative (at least that was my understanding).

I arrived on the Thursday and decided to do some warming up of my legs. Rode the Colle de Tenda in the evening. Lovely little climb, with an unsurfaced 600m to the very top. Did the Agnello and Sempeyere on Friday. The Agnello from the Italian side is long and hard, particularly the last 10km. While the Sempeyere winds its way up through the woods with great views from the top. Friday was a quick trip up the Lombardo - a lovely climb but steep in places though flattening out at the top and again great views. Popped up to the Santa Anna Sanitorium on the way down - it's a 2km 11%ish climb up to the Sanitorium with a cafe (for a Panini) and a Church which was full of photos of people who had died in accidents (many of the photos were of the actual crash sites, so smashed up Puntos and the like, rather grim!). I'd advise driving 40-60 mins towards the base of all those climbs as Cuneo is on the flat and its a good 30-40km slog to get near the climbs. I had wonderful weather on all those days, which also helped with super views and warm sunshine.

So the race itself. What an atmosphere. You all get given a jersey which you have to wear on the day and start snaked around the central square. Makes for quite a view, particularly as we set off. Roads were all very well marshalled with lots of warnings of potential hazards. For the most part it was closed roads and there were only 2 sections (5-6km each) where we were on main roads and sharing with other vehicles. Warning though, not all the roads are in good condition and several of the climbs and descents had very rough sections so do beware.

The start was hard and fast. All ~3000 rider start together and I'd guesstimate that I was about halfway down. The Medio and the Grand Fondo split was almost immediate. Don't hang back as I met a guy later who had started at the back and by the time he got to the split, it was a long solo ride... I managed to get into a group with a Canadian and we worked our way up the pack. It's flat for the first 40km before the first climb so you can cruise along at a decent lick.

Got drenched as we neared the Valmala climb and climbed well within my limits up to the top. It's steep climb in parts and with plenty of distance to go I didn't want to go too hard too soon. Feed station at the top and then a flat section before the descent. It was wet and slippy after several days of hot sunshine. I overcooked a corner, mentally told myself to chill out and carried on. As I approached a right hand hairpin I realised the guy in front of me was on disc brakes and was slowing much faster, went wide and just lost the front wheel. Went down and slid off. Up and seemed ok, but knew immediately that I'd bent the rear mech hanger. Jumped back on headed down, trying to be much more cautious now. But on a steep S bend as it curved left I lost my front wheel again and hit the deck hard, this time on the left. I was winded and it hurt. Someone stopped to check I was ok. The bike was fine apart from a bent lever and I took the opportunity to check my gears... yep, in the 27 my mech was catching the spokes.

As I was getting ready to set off another rider did exactly the same as me and hit the deck hard. Helped him up and he had a nasty gash in his elbow. As I turned around, yet another guy went down. His helmet flew off and he showed no sign of getting up. I kicked into first aider mode. He was conscious but in pain. Only spoke Italian but indicated that he was hurting in the hip/back area. He'd managed to fall in basically the recovery position but right in the middle of the corner. Told him not to move and started slowing down riders - by this time a steady stream of them coming around the blind corner fast. Called emergency services and a Dutch rider who was a doctor stopped to help both guys. Eventually some marshals arrived and took over. I figured I'd just get on my bike and carry on. Later heard that the Italian guy had broken his femur... :(

Went very slowly down the bottom and from there got into TT mode towards the next climb. Picked up several in a train and there was a fabulous section going through an old town. Loads of crowds cheering and some tight technical corners and surfaces (sand, cobbles, flagstones). And then up the next climb. The La Piatta is the easiest climb of the lot only averaging 7% and though it had a few 14% ramps it eases off for the final couple of km to a little church, water fountain, and feed station. Found a medic to patch me up, lost skin on both sides of my hips plus various other scrapes. They basically chucked on some sterile water and then some bandages. Enough to keep me going. No mechanic though :(

The big climb of the Fauniera now loomed and I approached it knowing I was missing a gear and in pain. But I figured I'd give it a shot. I'd already lost about 45 mins from crashing/helping/medics so I knew I wasn't going to have a great ride time anyway. The climb is impressive... 22km long and it's gorgeous from the start. Very uneven gradient though, ramping up at time 14% but then "flat" sections of 4-5% as well. Supporters all the way up, including people handing out water and banana chips! As you wind through the village you see the top and its still 7km to the top. Narrow and winding with mountains and meadows on either side, with all the riders in their matching tops strung out fighting their own battle with climb. There's a feed station about 5km from the top but I pushed on. Saw a martmotte scurrying along and grimaced at the photographers. I had to ride out of the saddle for long chunks but I seemed to be moving faster than most of the other riders, which was motivation to keep going.

It was drizzling, misty, and windy at the top. There was a feed station next to the Pantani monument. And a lovely lad (maybe 14 years) spoke English and helped me out. Made sure my bottles were re-filled and I had some food. Held my bike as I put on my jacket and then helped translate as I tried to see if the mechanics could deal with the hanger. Unfortunately, no. But only one more climb to do... he wished me luck and I thanked him as I set off down a very narrow, windy descent in the mist. I was petrified, particularly after spotting a broken, abandoned bike frame a couple of km from the top. In the sunshine it would have been a wonderful descent, but in the mist and drizzle and after two crashes it was no fun. I crept my way down, letting others past when I could while my neck started spasming from the tension.

It was just a short drag along the bottom to the final climb - the Madonna Del Colletto. By this point it was determined to finish. It's only 7km but averages 8% and had some steeper pitches. Winding its way up through forests... after that it is a bit of a blur... I crested and crept down the descent again. Before a final slog down the main road (with cars) before turning off through what felt like an industrial estate to get me back into Cuneo. Riding solo the final couple of km are along a tree lined boulevard before a couple of sharp turns over flag stones and into the square and the finish line.

I was a later finisher and it felt like things were packing up. Headed to the first aid tent who promptly shoved me in an Ambulance and gave me a blue light and sirens journey to the local hospital. Four hours later and they confirmed nothing was broken, just plenty of lost skin on both sides and bruising. Perfect injuries for the journey back to the UK the next day (3hr drive, plus a 4hr delay on my flight - thanks Easyjet!).

Overall though, I'd do it again. This time taking it easier on the descents, particularly if it rained, and with a fully working rear mech. The organisation at times felt a little shambolic but the atmosphere was wonderful. Everyone very friendly, plenty of support, great feed stations (mix of sandwiches, cakes, fruit, nuts, energy drink, coke, water), and pretty well marshalled. And it's in a little part of Italy I hadn't really heard of, but with some super, super climbs. Personally, they rated far higher in terms of toughness and scenery than many of the better known French climbs over the other side of the Alps.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Basically your story reminds me why I only ever did one granfondo in Italy. The pace is savage (after one hour the average on my speedo was 38 km/h), the dangers are real and I was left wondering why I should put my life on the line to ride a bike. Never entered another competitive bunch ride again. I think it's an acquired taste... roads are wonderful, of course, but I can ride them on my own at my pace.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Excellent write up.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Lovely write up. Wait and see how you feel about it in a few months. Sometimes you forget the bad and want to give it another shot. :D
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    dish_dash wrote:
    And it's in a little part of Italy I hadn't really heard of, but with some super, super climbs.

Aside from the climbs... Barolo and Barbaresco aged wines, Nutella and any other Ferrero product... ever heard of those? :lol:

Piemonte has some of the best climbs in the world, I am genuinely surprised you haven't heard of it cycling-wise before...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:
    And it's in a little part of Italy I hadn't really heard of, but with some super, super climbs.

Aside from the climbs... Barolo and Barbaresco aged wines, Nutella and any other Ferrero product... ever heard of those? :lol:

Piemonte has some of the best climbs in the world, I am genuinely surprised you haven't heard of it cycling-wise before...

I guess in my mind the main Italian climbs were further north. Most of the climbs we did from Cuneo haven't been well traversed by the GTs so that also means they get less coverage.

The wine I knew, but that all the hazelnut stuff came from there was new to me!
  • ugo.santalucia
    dish_dash wrote:

I guess in my mind the main Italian climbs were further north. Most of the climbs we did from Cuneo haven't been well traversed by the GTs so that also means they get less coverage.

So not true... Colle dell'Agnello has been featured empteen times in the Giro and even in the Tour de France (2008 and 2011).

The 1949 Cuneo-Pinerolo 250 km stage is probably the most famous in the history of the Giro (Coppi won), to the point that it has been "restaged" in 2009 (Di Luca won).

Colle Fauniera is also very famous and recently featured in the Giro (3 times I think)... most notably Pantani took the jersey in 1999... col del Prel has been featured a few times, notably in 2000, when Garzelli sealed the pink jersey.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Excellent read thank you.
    Put me right off entering any of these! :shock:

I would a require a much more sedate pace, involving a lot more coffee/cake/beer/panino stops.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:

So not true... Colle dell'Agnello has been featured empteen times in the Giro and even in the Tour de France (2008 and 2011).

The 1949 Cuneo-Pinerolo 250 km stage is probably the most famous in the history of the Giro (Coppi won), to the point that it has been "restaged" in 2009 (Di Luca won).

Colle Fauniera is also very famous and recently featured in the Giro (3 times I think)... most notably Pantani took the jersey in 1999... col del Prel has been featured a few times, notably in 2000, when Garzelli sealed the pink jersey.

Agnello x4 for the Giro, x2 for the Tour. Fauniera only 3 times, including the famous Pantani one - hence the monument. My point being compare that with how many times GTs have gone to some of the similar French climbs - Galibier/Alp D'Huez/Izoard et al and the region's climbs are very underused.
  • ugo.santalucia
    dish_dash wrote:

Agnello x4 for the Giro, x2 for the Tour. Fauniera only 3 times, including the famous Pantani one - hence the monument. My point being compare that with how many times GTs have gone to some of the similar French climbs - Galibier/Alp D'Huez/Izoard et al and the region's climbs are very underused.

They are underused, you are right and the climbs in the neighbouring Valle d'Aosta even more so. Valle d'Aosta has some dead end climbs that rival Monte Zoncolan for brutal gradient but never used by the Giro, only very occasionally by local races
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    dish_dash wrote:
    Sestriere and Finestre aren't that far away either, and have been used several times in GTs (Sestriere was in the 1949 Cuneo-Pinerolo stage you mention, Ugo). It is also 'famous' for more recent decisive victories of Chiappuci, Garzelli, and some American.
    I have the impression that it's gone out of favour with the TdF organisers, though.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Basically your story reminds me why I only ever did one granfondo in Italy. The pace is savage (after one hour the average on my speedo was 38 km/h), the dangers are real and I was left wondering why I should put my life on the line to ride a bike. Never entered another competitive bunch ride again. I think it's an acquired taste... roads are wonderful, of course, but I can ride them on my own at my pace.
    I don't think the 'savage pace', especially in the first hour, is particular to Italian granfondi. If the terrain at the beginning of the route allows it, you find a savage pace happens everywhere. I can remember incredibly fast starts to granfondo-type events starting in Lienz and in Strasbourg, for instance. The Nove Colli in Cesenatico also starts wildly. All have 20-35 km of flat road before the first climb.

But you can find 'competitive bunch' events where, from the start, the terrain strings the field out, lessening the danger.
    The Arvan-Villard used to start halfway up the Croix de Fer, with 500 m climbing in the first 5 km. That was pretty effective in dispersing the field. (Now it starts three-quarters up the climb to La Toussuire, with 100 m in 3 km, not quite so effective). Coincidentally this year it takes place on the coming Friday.
    Another example, the Arlberg Giro - this starts at St. Anton halfway up the pass, and has 500 m of climbing in its first 10 km, including a stretch at 15%. That works. This year it takes place on 30 July.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Whilst Pantani has a monument, the stage in '99 was equally famous for the daredevil descent of Salvodeli. It cemented his reputation as 'the falcon'. Given the spills on the way down, it's perhaps understandable why that ride was so legendary.