Tom Crowther Vintage Bike

JBrown23
JBrown23 Posts: 14
edited July 2017 in Vintage bikes forum
Recently I was out riding my beloved vintage Tom Crowther bike and the spring in the derailleur broke off so now my bike wont stay in gear. It is the original Shimano 105 rear mech that came with the bike so ideally I don't want to replace it all. Does anyone know if you can just buy a replacement spring??

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    What model and age is the 105 rear mech? It might be that with a bit of modification you can find a spring that’s originally been used for something else? It’s amazing what you can do with a Dremel and a hacksaw. It’s also possible someone will have an old broken 105 mech that has a working spring that could be donated. I'm still waiting for the day when something from the bottom of my big box of old bike bits becomes useful.
  • JBrown23
    JBrown23 Posts: 14
    Thanks Term1te. Unfortunately I don't know the age as it was handed down from my Grandad, but will look into my spring collection, but may need to improve my hacksaw skills first!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try retrobike or ebay - original Shimano 105 is also known as 'Golden Arrow' and a replacement mech is only about £20
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..